Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Menopause Weight Distribution

I have about 10 lbs, most in the middle, and I am 5'3" so it feels significant

Yppej
    Yes, it does weigh on us quite literally, doesn't it? I am feeling it lately in my feet and ankles which has never happened before, although I am far from the definition of obesity. Just the extra 10 pounds makes a difference.

This topic has weighed heavily on my and for the last few years as I imagine every lady's mind. It was like a had a few ruff years tending to mom and life in life and when I awoke I looked and felt """old"". If you would have asked me at 50 or before if this would happen to me old body, the non fit looking, the middle fat, the chicken skin arms and knees, I would have said NOT ME!

I struggled for a couple of years honestly. I hung signs in my bathroom "this is your best age", "Live Ageless", but I could not get over all the changes. Slowly I am working at the attitude of accepting myself and body, I am lucky I can get up and go and do all I do. I do not have to and will not look like I did before. Then boom a few weeks ago hubby says he is an old man, what?? I am older than him!

I was plunged into menopause at 36 and went from being a pear shaped person to an apple it seemed like overnight, enough that people at work commented that I might have something medically wrong because my shape changed so fast, it was embarrassing. I have gained a lot of weight since getting sick and it's all in the middle. I'm working on my weight but feel like with such limited exercise restrictions, it's going to be very hard to get rid of my abdomen. When I got Medicare I got an advantage plan that comes with a free Y membership. I used to love to do the weights but can't do them yet. One day.....Oh and my mom told me in menopause your lips get thinner and you lose your eyebrows and eyelashes, she was right. Bonus! My boobs got bigger but I think that was because of the overall wt gain.

I don't think that anyone enjoys the physical changes that come with getting older. But i have had 3 very good friends die between the ages of 59-67 so that makes it easier to keep everything in perspective. things could be much worse)

Yppej
    Very true TT!

Now that I am not running around the deli anymore and drinking a lot more beer, I have watched in dismay the thickening hips and middle that is occurring. I am smack dab in the middle of menopause and even though I've *only* gained about 8 lbs this year, it is most definitely settling above my hip bones - my former pants and shorts don't fit me anymore...My boyfriend seems to like the slight added girth around my middle, but I am having a hard time getting used to it, considering I had lost so much weight during the Wholefoods years. And I am not really able to get much exercise in right now due to a knee problem I have been having for the last two months - it's been really hard to walk and hike for exercise. I have an appointment with an orthopedic guy next week to find out what is going on.

So yeah, I am having a bit of a hard time myself accepting that my body is changing shape at age 55; I guess I somehow thought because I lost so much weight before that I was always going to stay that way by sheer magic...ha! Right now I feel very matronly wearing this last clean pair of chino shorts (I have to go into town to do laundry tomorrow). Not my favorite style, by any means!

I am 63 and more than a decade past menopause. But I remember my weight loss regime from that period, coinciding with menopause, and while I was happy with upper arms and thigh, it occured to me all of a sudden that my thighs were ah, too skinny, like old lady skinny! And then it seemed I had no ass. So,
    I got out my Magic Pants from decades ago, pants (you all probably have a pair of those) that always hugged my butt in a provocative way and--there was no butt!

So sad, it was cute and now it is gone.

Yppej
    The favourite clothes not fitting right is annoying. With the change of seasons it hit me, because there is a change just from last summer. I bought a size 10 pair of pants for the first time in my life this year. I have started walking at lunchtime but I think it is too little too late.

Did any of you ever think it was going to happen to you? I never ever did. I cruised through child birth without a stretch mark. Now I have lovely veins in my legs, my hands {{Gasping}} look like my mothers, oh my feet too! I love hearing from those that finally accepted everything! Yet my beautiful neighbor who is 72 tells me about her weight or hair needing touch up or skirt length and such often. I think OMG I don't want to be that age and still worried about it, but I think I will be.

Thread Information