Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Menopause Weight Distribution

Yppej

Menopause Weight Distribution

Has anyone else become top heavy as a result of menopause? To retain modesty I feel like I have to dress in a more matronly fashion than I used to, some clothes no longer fit, etc. The doctor said it is normal, but unlike hot flashes this is a side effect I never heard about until it happened to me.

Between menopause and smoking cessation, I've gotten a bit thicker around the middle, although I'm still a pretty small person.

Me too. The whole torso is thicker and more matronly looking and I don't like it! Then I tell myself, "you are 65 years old you know", but the mind never ages along with the body IMO, so these things come as a shock.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Yep, my body has changed post-menopause, too. Thicker torso...yep. I work like heck at the gym to keep a defined waist--otherwise I turn into a complete turnip shape...and let's not talk about the posterior -- that, too, gets a lot of work at the gym on the machines to keep it somewhat upright and not knocking against my upper thighs...lol.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Isnt the OP talking about boobiage?

I still remember the funniest thing that was said here, I think by Jane, about a thicker middle after menopause. Mother Nature stores stuff here for our use because in times of famine, the tribe wont be feeding us. Only those who can replentish its numbers can partake.

And I suppose this is true.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-26-17 at 8:43am.

I think it is 'the girl's as I affectionately call my chest. Just keeps getting bigger! I hate wearing the baggy style that seems to fit these days, however hormones don't care about fashion. The white button down issue is the worst, I need to special order.

As a note I am up to 34 DDD, I can manage a 36 DD sometimes but they tend to slip up. I found one bra in the correct size at the department store, a minimizer style which means I can wear more shirts at least

Yppej
    My middle is expanding, but I was talking about the area above, and ZG the shirts are the worst. Even my face is changing and looking more square. I had not thought of the evolutionary reason IL. HH I do need to try to exercise more. Weight gain I am sure has played a role, but the gain is definitely not proportional. SEL I too feel younger until I take a shower! RR the smoking cessation is a good tradeoff. Good for you.

Thanks Yppej. It was definitely a good tradeoff. I may be 10 lbs heavier, but I feel 10 years younger! Smoke-free for 5 years now.

And then there are those like me who have turned sort of "stickish" in shape.

I end up with 3 pounds after it was said and done from 53-56 yrs. 3 huge blubbery pounds! All stuck in the middle. I run, I walk, I bike, nothing but restricting my favorite carbs I imagine will change this.

Thread Information