Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the Health

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What the Health

Has anyone else watched the documentary "What the Health"? It is showing on Netflix right now and is a very interesting documentary on the effect of food on health. I think most of it is going over things we already know, but some is more eye-opening, to me anyway, and worth thinking about.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

My DS just told me about this documentary yesterday. He thought it was very good. He's been a vegetarian/pescatarian mostly, but very occasionally ate meat, and sort of decided after seeing this to give up meat and dairy again. He says he feels so much better without dairy and only eating plant-based things. I wonder how "scientific" the studies were that were cited in this film?

It seems to be yet another vegan propaganda film, with the same predictable cast of characters. There are some good nutritional documentaries out there--I suggest Fat Head or That Sugar Film.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It seems to be yet another vegan propaganda film, with the same predictable cast of characters. There are some good nutritional documentaries out there--I suggest Fat Head or That Sugar Film.
    I second this. I watched this propaganda flick long enough to research the so called experts interviewed. The entire thing is more of an infomercial than a documentary. Disregard it as junk.

Haven't seen it but find that how we eat sure seems as divisive as politics these days. I tend to believe that veganism (not vegetarianism) or any other extreme diet is probably not healthy in the long run. Yes, one looks and feels better for the first year or so but the nutritional deficits show up later for many who try it - hair, skin, bone health. I am sticking with omnivorism (is that a word?) but am cutting way back on the bread, crackers, i.e. wheat stuff.

I've followed Dr. Greger, who is featured in the film, after reading his book "How Not to Die". I switched from a basic omnivore diet to mostly vegan a year and a half ago. I have trouble sticking to it when out dining with friends or have meal company to my house as about the only vegan exceptions. I feel fine, but really no better or worse, and no major health issues. I am in my early 60's and bicycled over 3000 miles last year. The major health markers the medical industry likes to monitor are about the same...blood pressure and other routine blood work. My cholesterol dropped about 10%, but is still slightly high and I'm down about 5 or 10 pounds. I don't take any routine medications. Cooking appetizing food has been a slight challenge, but I generally enjoy my meals.

I don't think it's all propaganda, but there is definitely some hype and what I think of as partial truths in the film. Mainstream medical groups like the heart association and cancer society are not very crazy about processed or red meats, but a little more forgiving on fish and chicken. It's no secret that wild ocean fishes are being depleted and many farm fish are not good for the environment. Then you get into the humane conditions on factory farms.

My opinion is to eat what ever makes good common sense, but to be informed of the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I
    My opinion is to eat what ever makes good common sense, but to be informed of the consequences.
    Michael Pollan wrote after he researched food, diets etc., to 'eat food, not too much and mostly plants'. Not too much is a bigger item than most, I think. That is my diet but I do eat locally grown meat.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Are Fat Head and That Sugar Film on netflix if you know off hand?

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    Are Fat Head and That Sugar Film on netflix if you know off hand?
    No, I don't know. They're both on Amazon, though.

I forgot my favorite of all--My Big Fat Diet, which used to be available on YouTube, but doesn't seem to be now. It told the tale of Dr. Jay Wortman's small study of a group of Canada's First Nations people and how they embarked on a life-saving eating plan. My library has it; maybe Netflix does, too.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Sure, eating wholesome food benefits our health in wonderful ways. Living on fast and processed crappy food is very likely to harm our health. Don't we all know that by now? But our diets have become so politicalized. Eat MY way or you're doomed. Takes a lot of the joy right out of food.

I endorse Michael Pollan. Eat "mostly" vegetables. To me that means that on the rare occasion, one can eat a bit of bacon -- or even--gasp a burger. Jeez, let's lighten up. It's not one way or the highway. Food has become a battle zone. Let's lighten up a bit. And enjoy our food--whether vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore.

Common sense, yes?
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information