Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zen like acceptance or BS

zen like acceptance or BS

I am just going to admit that this seems to be my board, I have started something like the last 20 topics! I think a lot of simple livers are scaling back their work focus, where I am keeping life simple so that I can put the effort into work that really aligns with my values, and I am lucky to have that type of a job.

Yeah, end of year review. I hate these really. I didn't get all emotional or on the other end of the spectrum check out and disengage. So that was a great thing. I met with old sup and new one. I am liking the new one, in several ways I am more of an expert on things than he is so I get to be wonderfully independent and make a lot of decisions. I got a 3 on a scale of 1-5, what I expected. I was okay with it, I didn't feel like I pushed for a 4 this year and I had a few mistakes I had to deal with honestly. The good part was that my old sup really talked up my creative problem solving. She also recognized what a hard year it has been for staffing. That was awesome. And I noticed that I dropped some of my big push to achieve. I have had a tired out year, ready for a lot of self care over the summer. But I also am feeling this gap where the idea I need to work harder and be better used to be. Of course the 'work on' issues are always deadlines, paperwork, details. I think I did a LOT better but near the eval time I missed something important. There is always some well-meaning person with a totally different type of brain that wants to help me, it just is what it is. I work hard at it and I could be 'perfect' with a huge energy push. I focus a lot on big picture, vision and how detailed work supports that. I think that is leadership and worthy of considering a promotion, but I am accepting this department does not see that.

Meanwhile I am anxiously awaiting the response on the fellowship that I applied for, I have to wait until July 25th!! I have had this underlying dream of being an academic. I get scared off by competition, but I am getting better about that. And I joined a Toastmasters meetup to work on the stage fright.

Your self-analysis is pretty tough on you at times.
    I would be accepting that you did what was possible under the circumstances to your best at the time and let the rest go.
    One day when you win ten zillion dollars you might be perfect but until then acceptance is good and healthy.
    Enjoy your summer break and congratulation on the guts for the Toastmaster experience. Wishing you well on the fellowship!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've learned to approach evaluations - both the ones I write and the ones I receive - with a logical distance ... recognizing all the metrics and limitations to those systems. As long as a person keeps their job, all is well.

Zoe, do you yourself give all your staff 4 and even 5 on their overall performance?

I think it is odd that your posts about performance appraisals always focus on your own evaluation. I would think that you, in a management position and producing these ebaluations yourself, understand the limitations, as Tammy mentions.

I can tell you work really hard so give yourself a break and a hug)

I'm with Razz on this one. I think how you handled that poorly performing male employee was really well done, you deserve a pat on the back just for turning that around

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Zoe, do you yourself give all your staff 4 and even 5 on their overall performance?

I think it is odd that your posts about performance appraisals always focus on your own evaluation. I would think that you, in a management position and producing these ebaluations yourself, understand the limitations, as Tammy mentions.
    Good point, the only year I was really upset was when I got a 2 and I felt that was not communicated through the year. If someone, myself or my staff, is at a 2 level there should be some regular communication and a chance to improve. Thanks for the shout out on my one staff that did not work out. I tried to treat him like I would want to be treated if I was not doing well, really clear feedback and a plan to improve before the end of the year.

I actually gave one of my staff a 4 last year, she ended up getting promoted. I only had one staff that lasted long enough this year to even do a review. She was between a 3 and 4 because she really stepped up to fill in gaps, but there were some things that kept her from a 4 eventually (there is a norming process so that staff is treated fairly across the almost 50 sites). I think knowing the norming process with all our positions is part of the reason I think I should push myself to a higher evaluation. Some of my colleagues are not at the quality that a core group of us work at. And a lot of this is simply that I have never accepted a B-average for myself. That was not acceptable in my family for me as the 'smart one'.

My year end review is on Friday. This time I phrased everything on it as though I am the greatest employee ever.

I observe that most of the upper level management have two conjoining traits:

1. Generalized incompetence
    2. A inflated sense of self-importance.

I am aiming to run the place in about 3 years!

Zoe, do you have to get an overall 4 to be eligible for a promotion?

No but I am not sure a consistent 3 will get me there. However some of the other promotions seem to be more based on a skill set they are bringing in that is additional. The last 2 promotions included someone a principal requested who had been a family liaison and a person in my position who had middle school experience. They wanted specifically middle school experience and then restructured so that she is not supervising any middle school after all.

Thread Information