Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much in an emergency fund?

We settled on 18 months expenses in easy to get to cash. It passed my 'sleep test'. It really matters what makes YOU sleep well

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    We settled on 18 months expenses in easy to get to cash. It passed my 'sleep test'. It really matters what makes YOU sleep well
    Now that I am semi-retired (just have a few part-time teaching gigs), the sleep test number seems to have risen. But yes, this definitely ties into a desire to sleep better at night!

The amount has changed greatly over the years, used to be long enough to secure another job asap. Now that we are older, yes things like roof, car and major planned items are tossed into the plan. I don't think husband would ever say there is enough so now it is for the rest of life is the amount.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    The amount has changed greatly over the years, used to be long enough to secure another job asap. Now that we are older, yes things like roof, car and major planned items are tossed into the plan. I don't think husband would ever say there is enough so now it is for the rest of life is the amount.
    I know, right. It is a real change in attitude.

the 2 year number was to secure another job, not that it generally takes that long, was more on worst case scenario (expect the worst, at least you won't be disappointed), though now I hear of people unemployed even longer ...
    Trees don't grow on money

If you're not talking job loss income, I would think $15-20K would more than cover most emergencies. We retired recently and have my pension and both our social security as income. I save at least $500 a month in an Ally account which we have designated as the emergency account. Our emergency this year was a 90 mph wind that knocked down a fence and a very tall pine tree. You just never know...

Thread Information