Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandwich generation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    DMC, the cottage for your dad sounds really, really nice. I wish my parents would consider moving to something similar.
    They are popular, we are waiting for the new units to be built. You have to be able to take somewhat care of yourself. But if you don't show up for a meal at least someone will check up on you. They are a bit pricey, depending on how much help with meals and cleaning you want. But he should have enough.

Saw someone today that used to be a customer at a friends restaurant I remembered. He has Alzheimer's and really had no business controlling his money and his family let it go on, too long IMHO.
    What made them put a stop to it, was his wife got sick and he put her in a home, and when they asked what home, he had no idea.
    He had a good day yesterday, and the day before. First in two years and I am guessing that is a sign he won't be around much longer, based on past experiences.

I knew one other person with that diagnosis, who had his license revoked via the doctor. Yet his wife still had him drive her everywhere and lied to the kids (until she got sick).
    Some just can't face reality.

That said, this threads title, got me to looking up something I remembered years ago, and found again, and transcribed it....

I have a theory that a man's life is a long list of sandwiches.Like when your a kid, your peanut butter and jam...
    Life is sweet, no crusts.

Then you get to be a teenager your a toasted clubhouse.
    Got a little bacon going for you, but the girls still stay away...
    Because their chicken, or your a turkey.

Then as a young man, you become ham and cheese.
    More ham then cheese, but that will reverse as you get older.

Maybe now, you have reached the not so healthy sandwich years.
    The big fat greasy corn beef on a Kaiser years.
    Things are hanging out all over the place.
    Your looking kind of rough and
    you biggie sized yourself.
    Your fat content is through the roof.
    And if you don't start saving some bread up soon, you could end up open faced.

Ok, this is when you need your wifes help.
    Your wife is the spoon full of cole slaw, that could save your life.
    You be nice to her, bcause if she leaves,
    you have had the bun.
    And you are WAY too old to be holding the pickle.

Remebmer I am pulling for you, we are all in this together.

From the Red Green show, episode 257.

Yppej
    There was an interesting story on Alzheimer's on 60 Minutes this past Sunday featuring Antioca, Colombia, which has the highest incidence of the early onset version in the world, and research there.

DMC, that place looks really nice. I really wish my parents would consider moving to something like that where they live, or better yet, near one of their kids; the level of "intrusion" there sounds ideal for them. (That is how they perceive help, unfortunately.)

Poor dad having IBS or something and no doctor ever, he had an issue at Kroger Wednesday while there with his aide and never made it to the bathroom. I called yesterday and he was down, very down, probably more that then really still suffering from his stomach issues. I then called after lunch and said I was coming over to spend the night, if only to be company. NO I don't want to see anyone. Then I offered to take him to the doctor today, NO will not go. Just wants to be alone. Ok I know the aide comes today. I know this is the weekly issue he has, but this time and the reason I refuse to go out and about with him as I knew this would happen, I still now worry about his level of being sad over this

I really accept now that I can change nothing, he will not go to assisted living, so as my neighbor says about her 95 year old mom, nature takes it's course. Yet yesterday I thought if dad would go to the assisted living home on Lake Huron how he could be griping about life with other like minded men.

I feel so bad for your dad and for you

thanks, it is nice to vent and hear others experiences. All is fine when I spoke today. Two years ago I would have just driven over, today I breathe and think of the 6 hour round trip.

I have a theory that a man's life is a long list of sandwiches.
    Sans meat, sans cheese, sans taste, sans everything.

sorry too obviously asking for that reference.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We had to sit on our hands/mouths while she thre away this money in her dotage. It was her money.
    In doing some cleaning of our parent's house (Dad still alive btw) sister and I discovered how parents (Mom in particular) spent their money. Just a lot of spending on clothes she never wore, crafts/yarn/fabric she never used, every kitchen gadget under the sun and not one but two of them. I now have a brand new ice cream maker that is like 10 years old. We never knew how much they were spending because my folks never would talk in depth about money, it was their business not ours, even when growing up when it would have been helpful to know something about their financial situation when things got tough, it was always treated as some deep secret. When my sister took over handling the finances during my mom's final illness, she was just livid over how they were spending (overreaction perhaps, but that's her). Dad continues to spend on things he doesn't need blowing his budget every month but I told my sis that she can't do much about it because the more she rails, the more Dad "hides" his expenditures which he is hell bent on doing anyway. And it is his money.

Thread Information