Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When minority ideologies collide

When minority ideologies collide

Its always entertaining to me when one victim group climbs on top of another victim group for ascendency of the victim mountain.

Our local gay Pride parade featured the popular Balloon Brigade. Their float included the flags of many trod-upon groups but oops, also included the flag for "blue lives matter." Here in Michael Brown country that is VERBOTEN!!!

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...fa3c35136.html

I guess gay police officers dont exist. Well then, ok.

p.s. According to comments at end of article, lesbians carrying an Israeli flag were not welcome, either. There is tolerence only for certain ideologies in the group that preaches tolerence.

This is definitely the attitude in the social work classes I have been attending this year.

Some animals are more equal than others.

One of my favorites:

“He drew a circle that shut me out-
    Heretic , rebel, a thing to flout.
    But love and I had the wit to win:
    We drew a circle and took him In !

From the poem " Outwitted”

Edwin Markham

tags: friend, heretic, love, poem, rebel, wit

Wait, so police officers are a minority group now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Some animals are more equal than others.
    Indeed. The ability to get away with murdering someone simply by saying "I was afraid for my life" is pretty darn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. The ability to get away with murdering someone simply by saying "I was afraid for my life" is pretty darn equal.
    No, that is not what I was referring to at social work school. I was referring to a director who sent out announcements stating that the school would not observe any holidays.
    She then sent out an announcement announcing that Thanksgiving was an abomination because of Pilgrim's treatment of Indians. We had to sit through class where professor trashed my ancestors (at least the Pilgrim ones, I guess she was endorsing my Pamunkey and Cherokee ancestors.)

Then she sent out an announcement explaining what Ramadan was and saying that folks should be allowed to eat in class. We are not allowed to eat in class. But folks observing Ramadan should be allowed to eat in class.
    I sent her an email asking why this holiday--not Yom Kippur or Lent, also fasting holidays, and she said it was because the faculty might not know about Ramadan.

Why would they be faculty at a social work school if they did not understand Ramadan? I don't think that's the reason she sent it.

Gay police officers?

Hey, just wondering, I dont have the moral ascendency to define who gets to count themselves as downtrodden.

jp1 you DO make me laugh, I have to say.

Why not? If we are to divide ourselves into various little tribes based on race, class, real or imagined gender identity, infirmity, fashion choice, historical grievance, zip code, belief or unbelief, why not cops? Let us all boldly air our complaints, demand recognition and recompense and create little identities for ourselves until we slice the salami into three hundred million minorities of one. And woe betide the intolerant fools who would say us nay!

• The Angry Man

The other day I chanced to meet
      An angry man upon the street —
      A man of wrath, a man of war,
      A man who truculently bore
      Over his shoulder, like a lance,
      A banner labeled “Tolerance.”

And when I asked him why he strode
      Thus scowling down the human road,
      Scowling, he answered, “I am he
      Who champions total liberty —
      Intolerance being, ma’am, a state
      No tolerant man can tolerate.

“When I meet rogues,” he cried, “who choose
      To cherish oppositional views,
      Lady, like this, and in this manner,
      I lay about me with my banner
      Till they cry mercy, ma’am.” His blows
      Rained proudly on prospective foes.

Fearful, I turned and left him there
      Still muttering, as he thrashed the air,
      “Let the Intolerant beware!”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Gay police officers?

Hey, just wondering, I dont have the moral ascendency to define who gets to count themselves as downtrodden.

jp1 you DO make me laugh, I have to say.
    Well, we'd have to include just about every profession, except hair dressers, fashion designers and perhaps church organists.

I suspect the LGBT Wall Street traders group wouldnt receive a particularly warm welcome either. The LgBT insurance underwriters group would probably just elicit yawns.

The log cabin senators float would probably manage to get some chuckles though, despite the disdain that most people attending pride likely have for them. After all, a float featuring a bathroom stall that say "log cabin republicans" would be hilarious.

When my dh was in grad school, they had all these minority engineering groups. He wanted to start the society of "white, male, heterosexual graduate engineering students" because there were only four of them. Then he decided that actually, he hated Wayne, so he was going to make it "the society of white, male, heterosexual engineers with facial hair" facial hair wasn't very popular with undergrads back then.

Thread Information