Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Headed for Junk Status

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Not all the Northeast is like this Rob. I pay $2830 a year in property taxes, possibly a little less. The bill I just got is an estimate, to be trued up in January, and they estimate high as they start collecting.
    True, it's a NJ thing, (not sure where you live, Yppej), and I don't pay anywhere near 32k. As I said, I'm lucky to pay under 10k, but I don't pay much under 10k.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Property tax isn't necessarily the whole tax story since state income and sales taxes also vary from state to state. Relative property valuations matter, too. I still suspect the coastal states have a higher tax burden. Colorado has relatively low property taxes, plus there is a provision that people over 65 who have lived in their home for at least the last 10 consecutive years get a huge property tax break. The over 65 provision seems to come up on the chopping block routinely but is current for now. I don't know that our schools and general infrastructure are worse or better compared to other places.

I have to wonder what people get in return in states with high taxes. Out of ignorance, I'd tend to suspect mismanagement or graft, but it probably has a more rational explanation.

Yppej
    Rogar one thing we "get", besides graft, is more local control. I am in Massachusetts where instead of county governments we have 351 municipalities. There are a few regional school districts of 2 or 3 towns, but for the most part we do not enjoy economies of scale. Every town AKA fiefdom has its own slew of pensioned positions for big fish in little ponds.

Williamsmith
    Pennsylvania lawmakers are paying attention to the pension crisis. The Governor.....a democrat with a republican house and senate signed into law a pension reform act that moves future state employees and public school teachers into 401(k) plans. This effectively places the risk entirely on employees for under performing markets rather than tax payers.

However, at the time of the pension fund raids....the markets were over performing to the tune of 15% plus. So lawmakers stole the money and used it for personal favors and vote purchasing. The debt that exists now should be placed smack dab on lawmakers from two decades ago. Unfortunately, unless the current debt is paid off, even the pension reform act will have virtually no ability to improve the situation. This years budget is expected to be unbalanced and 2 billion may need to be borrowed to meet spending.

Defaulting on pensions or even reducing annuities would be hazardous to the health of politicians and disastrous to the economy. A bailout is almost assuredly in the "too big to fail" category. Since it was theft which caused it....."tar and feathering" might be once again common in Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'm of the opinion that several of the regular posters here are not going to get this - ...... I GET IT. Rob
    No, you don't get what multiple other posters do.

Complain, complain,(to infinity here, because you don't do something about it) but then quit and do something about it.
    I talk to a former Austrian regularly. My neighbor, whose siblings are some sort of musical group over there. While your family may feel one way, certainly not everyone see's it that way. What don't we get, we don't get that in a simple living forum, you do everything in your power to NOT change something that you have the power to change, to "live simply, and with less stress", and it stress's us out. (hard to feel empathy for self destructive people)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post

Complain, complain,(to infinity here, because you don't do something about it) but then quit and do something about it.
    I talk to a former Austrian regularly. My neighbor, whose siblings are some sort of musical group over there. While your family may feel one way, certainly not everyone see's it that way. What don't we get, we don't get that in a simple living forum, you do everything in your power to NOT change something that you have the power to change, to "live simply, and with less stress", and it stress's us out. (hard to feel empathy for self destructive people)
    I'd hardly call rob's behavior self destructive. And I'd suggest that someone who gets stressed out by other people's actions needs to remember that old poem about changing the things you can and letting go of the things you can't.

Personally I've always taken rob's complaints to mean that he really really would rather stay in the US but that he admits that certain aspects of life elsewhere are actually better. Maybe I've misunderstood. I'll let him offer up his thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'd hardly call rob's behavior self destructive. And I'd suggest that someone who gets stressed out by other people's actions needs to remember that old poem about changing the things you can and letting go of the things you can't.

Personally I've always taken rob's complaints to mean that he really really would rather stay in the US but that he admits that certain aspects of life elsewhere are actually better. Maybe I've misunderstood. I'll let him offer up his thoughts.

You mention stress and then say you don't see self destructive behavior, what do you think stress does to a person. I don't see him saying he wished he lives here, but wants another country entirely.
    As for letting go, well there is an ignore function, but that is the ONLY thing he can do as a moderator, avoid being on the ignore list and not use it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Not all the Northeast is like this Rob. I pay $2830 a year in property taxes, possibly a little less. The bill I just got is an estimate, to be trued up in January, and they estimate high as they start collecting.
    I live in Boston and pay way less than $2830. My jaw drops when I see what some people pay for property taxes.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    I live in Boston and pay way less than $2830. My jaw drops when I see what some people pay for property taxes.
    In Pennsylvania property tax reform is in the forefront of legislative efforts in a bi partisan way. SB 76 changes the way public schools are funded. Currently each year every property owner is taxed based on the appraised value of their existing residence or business. Certain urban areas have such high taxes that people are unable to sell their houses at market value. The population is dispersing to rural areas. Those on pensions and social security are unable to keep up with tax increases.

SB 76 abandons real estate taxing for public schools and adopts an increase and expansion of sales tax and authorizes public schools to tax personal income. Proponents say this is a fairer way to support public schools.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post

Honestly, if my posts are so upsetting to you, Too Much Stuff, this begs the question: Why have you not used a blocking/ignoring feature to poof - make me and my awful posts go buh bye? I'm really curious as to this, please illuminate me if you would be willing to do so. Rob

Thread Information