Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Illinois Headed for Junk Status

I recently drove to Michigan from WA, and back.

On the way to, I went through Illinois. Never again. Horrible traffic, horrible roads, delays, and I had to travel lightly through areas that are known to arrest and detain gun-owners, even if they are doing everything by-the-book. Nothing like being stuck in Chicago bypass traffic for 4 hours in a 700hp+ car to make you decide that you need an airplane...

On the way back, I took the SS Badger from Luddington to Muskegon, and skipped Illinois entirely, and had a far less stressful and much happier drive.

https://www.ssbadger.com/

Bae, are you aware that folks with carry permits from their state of residence are allowed to car carry in IL? It's written right into our carry law.

Where are you getting the info about gun-owners being detained? I'm active on an IL gun forum and I never hear anything of the sort. IL is not like NY/NJ/MD in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Bae, are you aware that folks with carry permits from their state of residence are allowed to car carry in IL? It's written right into our carry law.
    I understand that. However, I was going through Chicago, and a bit nervous after decades of oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Nothing like being stuck in Chicago bypass traffic for 4 hours in a 700hp+ car to make you decide that you need an airplane...
    Did I guess the color correctly?

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Did I guess the color correctly?
    Not....quite..... The model is a bit off too :-)

Yppej
    Yes, the traffic is atrocious even in the middle of the day. I was pulled over for "following too closely" although I was not any closer than anyone else in the bumper to bumper traffic. It is easier to harass tourists from out of state than to fight the gangs on the South Side. Thanks for the link on the ferry Bae. If I ever visit Wisconsin again I will take it.

I am in no way sticking up for Chicago, but the Illinois State Police have jurisdiction over highways. The Chicago Police Dept has jurisdiction OFF the highways in Chicago with some help from the Cook County Sherifff's Dept. Shootings on Chicago highways are a regular occurrence, but the ISP has jurisdiction for those.

One of my tourist stops when I was in Chicago a few years ago was Lincoln Park to relive a memorable song of my younger days.

The streetlamps are on in Chicago tonight
    And lovers are gazing at stars
    The stores are all closing
    And Daley is dosing and the fatman's counting the cars
    And there's more cars than places to put 'em, he said
    But I've got room for them all
    So round 'em up boys
    'cause I want some more toys
    Hit the lot by the grocery store

To me way, hay
    Tow them away
    The Lincoln Park Pirates are we
    From Wilmette to Gary
    There's nothing so harried
    And we always collect our fee

Yppej
    Point taken Tradd. It was the highway patrol who for "following too closely" locked me in their cruiser, handcuffed my jacketless passenger on a cold day on the side of the road, and began dismantling parts of the car looking for drugs. Of course there were none, but we got no apology. I asked why since I as the driver was ultimately responsible for the contents of the car they weren't cuffing me and putting him in the (warm) car and they would not answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I am in no way sticking up for Chicago, but the Illinois State Police have jurisdiction over highways. The Chicago Police Dept has jurisdiction OFF the highways in Chicago with some help from the Cook County Sherifff's Dept. Shootings on Chicago highways are a regular occurrence, but the ISP has jurisdiction for those.
    Do they have exclusive jurisdiction? Around here, it is common for agencies to still write tickets, even though they don't have primary jurisdiction. There's a particularly entertaining 500 yards where the freeway runs through a small peninsula of the border of a very small tribal land, and the tribal police make bank writing tickets there.

Thread Information