Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo or not?

Solo or not?

I recently took my fifth solo trip to London. The first three trips were in the 1980s, and I had pen pals I met up with and stayed with, so I don't exactly count that as completely solo.
    Last year, and this year, I stayed by myself in a self-catering flat. I did go on a couple of day trips and tours, which was very nice. For the most part, though, I was alone. Last year, I definitely wanted to go by myself, since it was the first time I was seeing London in 30 years. I met up with a pen pal for an afternoon (in addition to a tour).

However, I was lonely at times. I felt, however, that that was the price I paid for being able to write at length in my journal at night, go where I wanted without consulting anyone else, etc. This year, I came down with a bad cold the first day I was in London. I really began to question whether or not I wanted to be there in the first place (I felt like utter crap for a few days), and then I began to wonder if I'd be better off with a friend. While the landlady and landlord of my B&B were very kind, it's not the same as being with a friend.

Also, I was there during a terrorist attack. Thankfully I wasn't anywhere near it when it happened. It definitely affected my mind, though. This whole trip could have been better.

So I've been wondering if I want to do a solo trip again. My friend offered to go with me if I go next year. I am not sure if she's serious, and I have a lot of questions to ask her about her travel style. On the plus side, she and I have been roomies during various short (four-day) trips, and close friends for more than 20 years.

Has anyone here done the solo thing, then changed their mind? What do you think?

When I travel on business, and I have a weekend or so to myself, I am very comfortable traveling alone, but that's just a couple of days. On occasion I'll wish DH was with me to share the experience but OTOH, as you said, if you're alone, you don't have to compromise or wait for anyone. You just get up and go.

It may sound cheesy, but would you consider a tour? My MIL went to Italy and a couple of other countries on a tour as a single and she had a great time. She met other people and chatted with them, but there was no commitment from a social perspective to do what others wanted to do (outside of the tour program of course).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have considered a tour. I'm a big fan of Rick Steves and his books. But tours are more expensive than traveling on your own. I managed to do it pretty inexpensively.

Unless someone knows of frugal tours? Now there's a business idea...

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When I travel on business, and I have a weekend or so to myself, I am very comfortable traveling alone, but that's just a couple of days. On occasion I'll wish DH was with me to share the experience but OTOH, as you said, if you're alone, you don't have to compromise or wait for anyone. You just get up and go.

It may sound cheesy, but would you consider a tour? My MIL went to Italy and a couple of other countries on a tour as a single and she had a great time. She met other people and chatted with them, but there was no commitment from a social perspective to do what others wanted to do (outside of the tour program of course).

I would not enjoy traveling alone so I think it just depends on what you prefer to do.

I need my own bedroom and space so go on tours paying the single supplement which can be pricey. I have gone on a tour with a friend who was good company but what she wanted from the tour and my expectations were so different, we were not able to share much. EG, she wanted to gossip about the other people on the tour; I wasn't interested in the others. I talked to everyone but was not interested in their personal problems, my friend speculated on what the issues were and I eventually just avoided discussing them. We enjoyed eating meals together but I did that as a solo with ease sitting with a different group each meal.

I tried the idea of sharing a room with a stranger as some companies offer to do and went nuts.

One roomie stayed in the room and hoarded the tiny shower with her dripping laundry. One key per room meant that I was without a key. I wanted to walk everywhere to explore and never knew when I would be back. A lovely trip but a disaster for room sharing.
    Another roomie wanted TV on loud until 11pm watching some melodrama and did her emailing at the same time. Late riser in the mornings.
    VS
    I want peace and quiet, asleep by 10pm and never any TV and up at 5:30am.

Could you choose one spot each time and make connections prior to going?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I recently took my fifth solo trip to London. The first three trips were in the 1980s, and I had pen pals I met up with and stayed with, so I don't exactly count that as completely solo.
    Last year, and this year, I stayed by myself in a self-catering flat. I did go on a couple of day trips and tours, which was very nice. For the most part, though, I was alone. Last year, I definitely wanted to go by myself, since it was the first time I was seeing London in 30 years. I met up with a pen pal for an afternoon (in addition to a tour).

However, I was lonely at times. I felt, however, that that was the price I paid for being able to write at length in my journal at night, go where I wanted without consulting anyone else, etc. This year, I came down with a bad cold the first day I was in London. I really began to question whether or not I wanted to be there in the first place (I felt like utter crap for a few days), and then I began to wonder if I'd be better off with a friend. While the landlady and landlord of my B&B were very kind, it's not the same as being with a friend.

Also, I was there during a terrorist attack. Thankfully I wasn't anywhere near it when it happened. It definitely affected my mind, though. This whole trip could have been better.

So I've been wondering if I want to do a solo trip again. My friend offered to go with me if I go next year. I am not sure if she's serious, and I have a lot of questions to ask her about her travel style. On the plus side, she and I have been roomies during various short (four-day) trips, and close friends for more than 20 years.

Has anyone here done the solo thing, then changed their mind? What do you think?
    Back in May I went to Israel, Palestine, and Jordan totally solo. I enjoyed it despite feeling lonely. In fact, the enjoyment far, far outpaced the loneliness.

Solo traveling is fun, but be careful where you go if you are a woman.

First let me say that I admire the hell out of anybody who chooses to travel solo. If I had the guts to do it I would have been around the world three times by now. I have a friend who does it and I'm so jealous. That said, I have done a fair amount of traveling. My husband had a stroke awhile back so it is very hard for him to think in future tense which means he isn't able to take part in much planning or execution. So we have done a couple of tours and had a great time because there was no planning on our part besides choosing the itinerary. We have met great people. Some of which we still keep in touch with. Be as social as you want. I love the fact that my husband has been able to indulge in travel with very little stress - for both of us.

I am at the airport returning from three weeks in Europe. DW so expertly gets out around on metros, finds great places to stay and restaurants to eat in that I'd be hard pressed to ever go without her:-). I do like traveling with others as, for me, part of the experience is traveling and exploring with DW. That said, the final two weeks of our three week trip was with seven others (including DW) and that was quite the group to get around with (two sisters, DD, and three nieces). I have to say, for eight of us traveling together we did quite well.

For American and Canadian travel, this looks promising for women traveling alone:
    https://women-traveling.com/TravelCa...-IcaAknc8P8HAQ

Yppej
    When I haven't had anyone to travel with I have saved my money, paid down debt, etc. My son wasn't interested in his teen years but now mid twenties is again. My DB and SIL have flaked on me but recently a family member I have not seen in 25+ years got in touch and we are planning some get-togethers. One man I was involved with was horrible - I couldn't go across town without him being the worst backseat driver. The next guy was great at travelling and in 2 years we went on 5 road trips. This is a must have for me if I get in a relationship again.

Thread Information