Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any good products for scrubbing a bathtub?

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    What Libby said....a spray bottle half filled with white vinegar, two generous squirts of blue original dawn detergent and filled with warm water. Spritz on generously, close the door and go have a cup of tea, and when you return just wipe off all the gunk. Works amazingly!

I'm going to try this today as my tub is in bad shape and I don't feel like scrubbing with the magic easer.

Williamsmith
    I'm a big fan of the magic eraser for quick clean up daily and have used the soft scrub Clorox blend for a longer session. The softness of your water matters. My current residence has a Kenetico water softening unit which makes a big difference in the accumulation of crud.

I spray one of those daily shower sprays that you use after your shower and my shower/tub looks fine. The cleaning lady scrubs it every two weeks but there's not much accumulation to scrub.

The vinegar/Dawn/warm water spray on worked FAB! Holy cow! Most of the soap scum came off rather easily. There was a tougher spot or two that I ended using the magic eraser on, but it was very quick and I didn't have to scrub much at all.

I didn't have "real" Dawn, just the Target generic equivalent.

Geila
    Sorry I have not responded sooner! We had a last minute out of town trip for the holiday and I'm just now getting back into the swing of things.

I'm going to test out the Dawn+Vinegar+Water solution today or tomorrow.

I've heard good things about those Magic Erasers. Do they work on baseboards? I've got a nasty black line along all of them from the vacuum cleaner. White baseboards.

And I'm going to do the lemon soaking in my kitchen sink! I've got a robust lemon tree and this will be a great way to use the overripe fruit. It will help clear out the smells from the garbage disposal too. We don't have a dishwasher so everything gets washed in our white porcelain sink.

I think our water is okay. Truthfully, I probably just let the tub go too long between washings. We use it (tub/shower combo) at least twice a day and with me being an avid gardener and barefoot walker plus DH being quite physically active, I'm sure we deposit lots of dirt, oil and grime in there. Plus the residue from bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, etc.... I always put it off too long and then it's harder to clean.

How often do you guys clean your tubs? I'm going to aim for once a week and see if I can maintain it.

Geila
    Question for the Dawn/Vinegar users:

How long does the solution last?

Since the recipe calls for heating up the vinegar, I'm assuming fresh is better? If so, I'll want to mix just enough to use quickly, rather than the large 3 cup version.

Thanks!

This is a very ungreen answer, but if you want a gleaming tub, you can use a caustic cleaner like Scrubbing bubbles once a week, and then spray it with a daily shower cleaner after you use it, like thisone:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Meyers-Cl...ews/B0021YVAQG

Once you get it really clean, you may be able to switch to maintainance only with Mrs. Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Question for the Dawn/Vinegar users:

How long does the solution last?

Since the recipe calls for heating up the vinegar, I'm assuming fresh is better? If so, I'll want to mix just enough to use quickly, rather than the large 3 cup version.

Thanks!
    I make large batches of this cleaner. I have some from two years ago and it is still fine. I also use it to clean my kitchen sink. And my toilets, mirrors, Windows. Pretty much anything.

I've heard good things about those Magic Erasers. Do they work on baseboards? I've got a nasty black line along all of them from the vacuum cleaner. White baseboards.
    Kind of depends on the paint on your baseboards. Some paint is more scrubbable than others -- the general rule is that the glossier the paint, the harder you can scrub. But that doesn't mean you have to use the eraser like a sanding block, either. You can try lots of short, shallow passes and see how it does before you really go at it. But erasers are touted for removing black marks on floors and athletic shoes and the like, so I certainly would try it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm sure we deposit lots of dirt, oil and grime in there. Plus the residue from bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, etc.... I always put it off too long and then it's harder to clean.

How often do you guys clean your tubs? I'm going to aim for once a week and see if I can maintain it.
    We use only organic products and see almost no residue or buildup. I rinse the walls/floor right before I shut off the water. DH squeeges (sp) the walls when he gets out. We clean the shower maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

Thread Information