Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

Yppej
    I agree on drug expiration dates. Also some meds you can store in the freezer to extend their potency.

Yesterday I got some practical items - among other things weatherstripping that will save me come heating season and a mop. Dollar Tree was out of stock and Family Dollar wanted $6 to $10. I settled for $5 at Dollar General. This is why when I see mops at Dollar Tree I stock up. Eventually the style I like gets too worn and grubby to clean effectively.

We were super hungry after work Thursday. We could have gone out to dinner but we agreed on my home made mac n' cheese with ham and smoked gouda. I looked at hubby after dinner and said "this mac n' cheese just saved us $40 it did make me laugh out loud!

Gardenarian, what did you find out about your solar panels? When I was younger, one of my goals was to go off-grid as much as possible. I still use a clothesline as much as possible, made a solar oven, had a large garden, canned and dried a lot of our food for quite a few years. DH was NOT on board and was an unwilling helper, and eventually I scaled back and stopped killing myself over it - being as how we had two children and I was also working full time. Now that we are too old to do any of the work ourselves, which makes it far to expensive for us to contemplate- he tells everyone that HE wanted to do solar and wind LONG AGO, but I just didn't want to be bothered. *sigh* - selective memory, indeed... on the frugal front, it's pretty much the same old, same old, trying to plug away at the little stuff and find opportunities to tackle the big stuff when I can. I have laundry on the line, and I've been troubleshooting problems with our new, but just out of warranty washing machine on line, rather than calling a repairman. So far, I've been able to coerce it into continuing to work. I really don't like new washers! I also returned a CD player to Amazon this month. It just quit working, about a week after the last return by date. I used the Amazon chat feature and politely complained, and they sent me a return paid label anyway. The money is back on my credit card already. I was pleasantly surprised by their agreeing to let me return it past the cut off date! I'm glad I checked!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You probably do this also but thought I would say anyway. When I send in a rebate to Menards I put them all in the same envelope since the address is the same. I do list the rebate items on the envelope though. I then get just one check. Saves a few pennies on postage too.
    Yup. I did send the rebates (had to exchange an item and pay more for the replacement) for our own house in one envelope. To keep the accounting clean, though, i sent in a separate rebate form for items I bought for my rental property. Thanks! Good point for all rebates...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    No spend days yesterday and today. I have been thinking of some home improvements but then I go to work and think how much more I would like to retire.

Yppej: I can certainly relate to that! We we doing pretty good until we went to Trader Joe's yesterday.

July 5---11th
    --yardsaled on Sat and got amazing stuff for a total of $32.00 large amount of fabric (more then enough to make many gifts & donations + a few pieces to sell),
    large wicker basket with handle, silk/wool scarf. new piece of wheeled luggage, set of brass numbers for the house, two lovely new cushions (will be a gift for DD), set of three small
    decorative boxes to hang and from a free box 24 magazines not more then 1 year old. All in all a fun great day. Frugal but, does not do much for the decluttering...lol
    --maybe not frugal but today on Amazon prime day I bought a 7 in 1 multi task pot, the main thing I wanted was the fact that it is a pressure cooker, And, it was
    a great price. Will let you all know how it works.
    --Other then these two days the week has been mostly not spend.
    --ask at the gym for an extension of my membership because I was not feeling up to going and it was extended 2 months. (with doctors note but she doesn't charge)
    --checking the house for food before doing any shopping and still using food I have.
    --have also lost 2 lbs this past week so I hopefully will soon be getting back into my wardrobe.
    That is about all for now.

Yppej
    A no spend day yesterday, but I will have to get gas today. I do not have an Amazon Prime membership so that was not a temptation for me.

We have Amazon Prime and bought nothing.

I heard that running the A/C or even just the fan (though less so) in the car uses more gas than not, so I'm not doing so as much (it's not blazing hot right now either). I don't know for a fact that this is true "don't know much about how cars work ..." but figured I'd give it a try as I read it somewhere on the intertubes. Well provided it's not blazing hot, then one needs A/C in the car no question. The car itself is plenty fuel efficient overall, but I drive it a fair amount so ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information