Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

For July 2
    --cooked up some ribs we had bought for $1.50 a lb with homemade (as in stuff in the house) BBQ sauce
    and used up the last of a bag of potatoes
    --The potatoes had eyes growing out of them so I will plant them in one of the veggies beds I did not get planted
    this year....maybe a few potatoes come fall for free.
    --balanced my money and updated the spreadsheets...even with money I have spent this past 6 months as
    in New A/C, new glasses, car repairs and some yardwork I am still doing great.
    --sorted all foot wear in the house (Marie Kono as in one category at a time. Put 1 pr of really good newer boots that are so tight
    they are not warm and 1 newer pair expensive runners that cause my back to hurt when I wear them in the to sell/give away box.
    One pair of very old shoes in the garbage. This is mostly only frugal because I have sort all like types together and know I do NOT
    need anything in footwear for at least a year.

Thanks for the reminder, guys - just prepaid and locked in my propane price. I'd like to switch suppliers but ended this year w/ a large credit, which we would lose if switching, so didn't get as many prepaid gallons this year. We'll see how that works out! Yesterday, DH and I took the old, ratty umbrella off the trashpicked patio table we have. It looked pretty good when we got it, but 12+ years of outdoor use have taken their toll. Several years ago he trashpicked a larger patio umbrella with a blech-colored canopy, and it's been sitting in the barn. Last year, DD and I bought a really pretty orangy-red canopy at a thrift for $2.50. So we put the new canopy on the newer umbrella frame and put it back on the table. It looks so nice! The old umbrella and the blech-colored canopy are now in the umbrella cover in the barn. Just in case, you know!

We're having an assessment for solar panels this week. We'll see!

Yppej
    Bleached the base of the dish drying rack so I wouldn't be tempted to buy another one. Some of my kitchen towels are very worn, so I went to Dollar Tree and picked up a couple new ones as well as replacing broken reading glasses and getting some other small essentials. My SIL is visiting in a couple months which is motivating me towards kitchen respectability.

We saved a bundle by deciding NOT to go on a mini-vacation to Vermont. My son got a music gig at the restaurant where he also works as a server, and so it was kind of a big deal. We were going to go up there, see the show and do some real estate browsing, but we decided against going this time. Savings: probably at least $600.

Also, last night it got late and I was too tired to cook, so we were going to do Indian take-out. I drove there--and then went past and went to the supermarket instead, bought DH some hot dog buns for the hot dogs we bought last week. I went home and heated up an Amy's burrito and made some Spanish rice from scratch for me (DH hates Mexican food). Didn't take long at all, and saved us at least $20.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I shopped for pots for my growing succulent collection at the Dollar Store today. Found some awesome "bowls." I will drill holes in the bottoms- they are perfect sizes and very colorful! Five pots for $5, saved at least $15, even over Wal-Mart prices.

July 3rd and 4th
    --not such to add just same old stuff
    --did receive Energy Savings cheque from the Government $400.00 toward new A/C that was nice
    --Read a book from the Library called "Beautiful Money" good read mostly just reminders on how to
    live well with your money and you will have more or at least feel like you do...lol. Always find I get something
    from these books.
    Now reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ***ck" very thought provoking.
    --Been watching "Handmaid's Tale" on PBS now this is very thought provoking/disturbing and somehow seems
    almost too relevant these days.
    All of this is keeping entertained and all for free.
    Not sure how frugal this one is (certainly not healthy) my fave Vachon cakes on sale for $1.50 a Box and I about
    2 boxes ...I will not admit to how many are left....lol.......
    That is all for now have a great day!

Were going to buy an airbed for husband to take on his family reunion trip since he is staying at his sister's and she has run out of room.
    REalized we could just pull the spare twin mattress off the bed and throw it in the car; it will fit. Saves at least $50. (He did not want to do this; had to fight him on it, as he said it would be "easier" to buy the airbed. He is the spender in the family.)
    I took tape measure out and figured out there was plenty of room. Although he was resistant, he said he will take the mattress.
    I did not want to store the air mattress, either, as already too much stuff in the house.
    So mildly unpleasant family dynamics, but frugal.

Kind of a quiet weekend as far as activity (certainly not quiet as far as explosive devices go).

- Still going through the freezer for meat to cook. The soup recipe called for canned tomatoes; I found a private label "San Marzano-style" can of tomatoes at the supermarket that was cheaper even than their house brand; tried those and they worked out so well I went back this weekend to get more for the pantry. The ribs recipe called for red wine; didn't want to open a whole bottle for what I needed so I used an open bottle of white. It may have ended up a bit sweeter than intended but it was still pretty tasty.
    - Filled out the rebate forms for stuff we bought for Menard's 11% rebate. For a buck in postage I'll get about $9 back in merch credits.
    - Still negotiating with some flake on craigslist to buy a used compost bin. Ours flat out broke and cannot be repaired so we have to get another one. I'm supposed to be able to pick it up tonight but he said he wouldn't text me the address until tonight. No idea what he's afraid of. It's not like his house was going to move between this weekend and tonight. >.< It's way cheaper than similar used bins on cl though so I may have to put up with some nonsense.
    - DW made more laundry detergent. It seems to clean well and it does not irritate her skin like the popular commercial brands or the expensive boutique brands.
    - Didn't look at a single July 4 sales circular. Oh, I did. Nothing I need at Target this week. But I do find it's easier not to spend money if I don't know how much I can save by buying it now. :-)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

No drive, no spend day & worked from home. Went to the library at lunch to pick up a book that came in, and I scored 2 pristine, vintage sixties Betty Crocker cookbooks that I will put away for part of DH's birthday gift in August. They were on the free rack, so you can't beat that! DH loves his old Betty Crocker cookbook; it is his go-to. His mom bought it for him before we were married, and he loved it to death. Some years ago we scored a nice clean copy of the same edition on Ebay or Amazon and he was delighted, so I think he'll really like these. One is "Cooking for Two" and the other is "A Hostess' Guide to Entertaining" (OK, so he won't love the title of that one). These books look like they were owned by someone like me, instead of someone like him, if you know what I mean. Pristine, with not a drop of gravy or splat of frosting to be seen. Forgive me for going on, but I was quite exciting about this score!

Thread Information