Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothing wrong with looking! Not anymore...?

Nothing wrong with looking! Not anymore...?

Thoughts on this?

I was hanging out with a friend of mine, who is what most people would call a "Social Justice Warrior." He knows I disagree with him on some things. We do discuss some hot button issues, believe it or not.

The other day we were outside a cafe enjoying beverages and talking about classes, social issues, romance, therapists, and all sorts of stuff.

A beautiful black woman with eye-catching curves walked by. And I gave her a quick "check out." It was brief and fairly subtle. But when my eyes returned to my friend and our conversation he gave me a very disapproving expression.

So I asked: "Do you think it is unethical for a man to 'check out' a woman he finds attractive?"

His answer was a resounding and firm "yes." His reasoning was that "the person -- usually a woman-- who is checked out does not give consent to have their attractiveness appreciated."

My personal feeling is that in a free and open society people are allowed to look at each other.

Yppej
    They knew you'd be coming to visit someday, so Middle Easterners veiled their women to prevent this.

This friend asked this: "How would you feel about gay men checking you out?"

I said: "When I was young, thin, and handsome they did! And I did not care."

I think it's pretty natural for males to check out female physiques even though it is not popular to say so. I think you just have to be really discrete about it these days, i.e. behind sunglasses lest you supposedly offend someone. I recall as a young woman that it was pretty normal for men to whistle at women who walked by. I never liked that sort of attention but it would never happen nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I think it's pretty natural for males to check out female physiques even though it is not popular to say so. I think you just have to be really discrete about it these days, i.e. behind sunglasses lest you supposedly offend someone. I recall as a young woman that it was pretty normal for men to whistle at women who walked by. I never liked that sort of attention but it would never happen nowadays.
    It seems really rare, but I don't run with a crowd that would do that.

Is there some set of guidelines I can follow so as to not cause offense...?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Is there some set of guidelines I can follow so as to not cause offense...?
    I could ask him, like if he thought up some guidelines, what those would be? Might that help you on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I could ask him, like if he thought up some guidelines, what those would be? Might that help you on this?
    That sure would be helpful. I am often out, minding my own business, and someone walks across my field of vision. Should I avert my eyes, or is that also problematic?

It's so confusing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That sure would be helpful. I am often out, minding my own business, and someone walks across my field of vision. Should I avert my eyes, or is that also problematic?

It's so confusing these days.
    It might be best to always look down when you are in public.

I come from the old lady from some other era side viewpoint but wonder why so many women display their curves so openly if they don't wish for the attention.

Thread Information