Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IKEA square metre challenge

IKEA square metre challenge

This is really clever!

I'm torn. I like all the creative storage ideas. But the room feels too full for my comfort. Half the stuff would be more soothing.

It looks jammed and unpleasant to me-- we had a bedroom that size once and we had a bed with underbed drawers, since we had no closet. I think we had a couple of tiny little side table and that was is. I could not deal with those clothes hanging there.

You could barely get out of the bed on each side, it was so small. It was our beloved bungalow, and they sure did not put space in into those bedrooms.

I put an IKEA wardrobe with my clothes out in the dining room.

It's cramped but less stuff may not be remotely realistic (of course I guess I kind of assumed this was a studio type apartment arrangement and so there wasn't other rooms available for storage pretty much - a small bedroom in a larger dwelling and studio apartment are likely two very different things). Except for the sliding cabinet and a few things it's fairly realistic, as in your not constantly moving things just to live, but it is cramped. Their obsession on not drilling holes for a rental was a bit weird, yea if you rent don't remodel the whole place without permission, ha, but a few holes for art or whatever is totally expected.
    Trees don't grow on money

While I really don't want to ever live in a tiny space, I love to walk through IKEA's small apartment displays and imagine the possibilities. I spent enough time in a camper in my youth, though, to understand my own consistent personal space needs. I can deal with STUFF as long as I have space around me. I've never thought of myself as terribly claustrophobic, but that room with DH and myself in it - yikes! Just me, and a twin bed, I could probably do that.

Yeah, I really like the displays in the IKEA stores ("Live well in 468 square feet!"). It does encourage me to think I can live quite nicely in, say, 800 square feet (which I kind of am, here, though the displays conveniently ignore things like where to store the Christmas tree and ornaments and 12-packs of TP, for which we have storage "below decks").

There is a lot going on in this display, but I think that's a function of how much stuff most people have. I'd rather hide everything, personally -- I like long clean lines and the layered busy look gives me the hives. But, having lived in an efficiency apartment, I get that that may not be much of an option. The display here does skate past some real-life logistics, as Tybee noted; It struck me that the cords for the video projector will have to be pretty darn long to survive moving those shelves out without incident. I also noted that they made a big deal out of not making holes in the walls (though they likely did for the hooks on the door wall) as if double-stick tape and such don't leave marks on drywall when they come down.

But it's a good illustration of what's possible with a little -- umm -- out-of-the-box thinking. Me, I'd rather do without a lot of the stuff that needs storage.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

--the multifuntionality of the storage bed
    --the stick-on mirrors
    --the window

Don't Likes:
    --The clothes racks--I'd feel like I was living at the cleaners. If it were me, I'd get rid of anything that couldn't fit in the under-bed storage, folded a la Marie Condo. I would, however, have some pegs, like the Amish have, placed around the room to hang things from
    --The movable shelves--I get the idea that being able to shuffle stuff is good, but too much stuff in the open is going to make the room look cluttered. And it would be a pain to have to pull the whole thing out to gain access to something on a bottom shelf. I think I saw something really clever once--it was like a canopy hanging from the ceiling, and you could lower it and stuff would be hidden on top.

I'm going to think about that challenge a little. It is interesting to think about what's possible in small-space living.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Way too cluttered and small for me. It would not feel restful to go to bed.

The bed is too high for my tastes.

While I like the overall concept, the room is also too cluttered for my tastes. Needs less stuff in it.

I like the idea of living in a tiny space, but I agree with what some others have mentioned. Too many things in there -- it looks cluttered!

Thread Information