Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IKEA square metre challenge

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Believe it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/r...l?mcubz=2&_r=0
    The development, previously called My Micro NY, has tapped into a desire common among many singles to live alone. The building includes 14 units designated as affordable, for which some 60,000 people applied, or nearly 4,300 applicants per apartment. The lottery for these units was held earlier this month, and winners will be informed in January. The building is set to open on Feb. 1.

"Affordable" price for under 350 sq. ft="Most of the affordable apartments will rent for $950 a month to tenants who meet income restrictions, less than half of what will be charged for market-rate apartments."
    That apartment looks very inviting. Kitchen cabinents seem twice as much as necessary,

William Smith, thos is NYC where you spend a lot of ti e in bars, resgaurants, parks, galleries. Home is for cocooning and sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    My friends who moved to NYC after college in 1976 to go into theatre lived in one room apartments with views of airshafts--I remember my friend the soap opera actress paying 700 dollars back then for such a room. I can't imagine what it would cost now.

Dreaming big is moving to NYC in the first place.
    Well said. The other option, if you opt for space over privacy, is do what my daughter did when she moved to New York making $26k annually. She co-habitated with people. She had some really "interesting" living situations--like the apartment we called "The Pirate's Cove" where the bedrooms had 4 ft ceilings because they were arrayed like lofts above the living room and they were total fire traps. But they were all environmentalists, so at least they used greywater to water their rooftop plants.

Then there was the apartment she shared with 4 other people in Bed Stuy, until they had a break-in and everyone's computers were stolen. Then there was the place in Williamsburg where her boyfriend was able to "upgrade" from sleeping in a closet (a literal closet--I'm not exaggerating) when she moved in with him to their own precious 250 sq feet. That place came with chickens in the back.. and the rats to go with them. I was so proud of her because, while she gave me a few grey hairs, she never asked me for money all the time she lived there.

But at least they were affordable. Yeah, living in NY is an adventure in itself.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Well said. The other option, if you opt for space over privacy, is do what my daughter did when she moved to New York making $26k annually. She co-habitated with people. She had some really "interesting" living situations--like the apartment we called "The Pirate's Cove" where the bedrooms had 4 ft ceilings because they were arrayed like lofts above the living room and they were total fire traps. But they were all environmentalists, so at least they used greywater to water their rooftop plants.

Then there was the apartment she shared with 4 other people in Bed Stuy, until they had a break-in and everyone's computers were stolen. Then there was the place in Williamsburg where her boyfriend was able to "upgrade" from sleeping in a closet (a literal closet--I'm not exaggerating) when she moved in with him to their own precious 250 sq feet. That place came with chickens in the back.. and the rats to go with them. I was so proud of her because, while she gave me a few grey hairs, she never asked me for money all the time she lived there.

But at least they were affordable. Yeah, living in NY is an adventure in itself.
    Well, it is obvious we are talking about a separate species of Homo sapiens which is not only willing to endure housing hardship but actively seeks stressful living conditions out in order to be in the "Big City". Perhaps someday all we will have to rent is an individual sleeping pod. Everything else will be shared. No need for an actual room?

In the case of my friends, William, they did not have a choice if they wanted to pursue theatre careers. It turned out very well for both of them. It's not like you can move to Florida or Oklahoma and launch a career on Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, it is obvious we are talking about a separate species of Homo sapiens which is not only willing to endure housing hardship but actively seeks stressful living conditions out in order to be in the "Big City". Perhaps someday all we will have to rent is an individual sleeping pod. Everything else will be shared. No need for an actual room?
    Like this?
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/34199278401056076/

sleeping pod.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

There are more and more requests here in the Twin Cities for zoning boards to consider these "micro apartments". People living by themselves (especially younger people), at work for half of their waking hours and elsewhere (with friends, social activities, the health club, etc.) for many of the other hours, do not need big kitchens or entertainment spaces, just someplace to sleep and watch TV/read/whatever. They're using those "third places": coffee shops, libraries/bookstores, etc., They understand very well the economics of filling a building with 800-1000 square feet of bog-standard galley kitchens, unused dining spaces, and living rooms no one is home to live in. A smaller apartment costs less per unit and it improves the chances of a vacancy where you want to live.

When I lived in my efficiency apartment I had more than enough room. I had a kitchen with usable appliances, a perfectly functional bathroom, and enough nooks and crannies for my stuff (plus a storage unit in the basement). It was a little tiresome to make the futon each morning so I had a sofa when I got home and to move this to get to that in the big closet. But it worked. It was in a great neighborhood at a price 1/2 to 2/3 of some charmless suburban apartment in a cars-only neighborhood, it took 15 minutes to clean, and I wasn't home all that much anyway. Yeah, parking on the street in the snow got old. But, had I looked longer, I might have found something similar with off-street or garage parking. And in a place as dense as NYC, I wouldn't have wanted a car anyway. Our niece lived in downtown Minneapolis before she got married, just a couple of minutes away from work. Murphy bed, tiny kitchen, hotel-sized bathroom. It was fine. She'd probably still be there if she hadn't gotten married.

There's a market for that kind of place. Now to get the projects approved by Luddite zoning boards....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Sure......or this.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Sure......or this.....
    Way hyperbolic.

I could probably live like this, so long as it was quiet when I wanted to sleep or read.

But realistically, I don't think it is much different than living in a tent or a tepee or a hatchback car. Spend your time outside and it'll be fine.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Way hyperbolic.
    Oh I don't know......Nazis were the quintessential minimalists. They got rid of what they didn't find useful and didn't give them joy.

Thread Information