Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting a Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 2017

Yppej, good luck with the cupboards!

IL: that is interesting because every old house I have ever owned has had hardwood that was in decent shape. Probably because most covered it with carpet which protected it. Our home is 70 yo and the people had put pergo over the hardwood. They also had put a board over the hardwood and then the pergo. WE pulled all that crap up and then restored the wood. There was a big hole in the hallway where at one time they had a grate for a furnace. WE took the wood from the closets to match the wood. The DR and MB did not have hardwood because they were added in the 70's so we used pergo there.

I'm back after being out of town for a couple of weeks.

I meant to do three hours today but only managed 2.5. Nevertheless, it's good to be back at it.

New total: 21.

Yppej
    I did some yesterday but nowhere near 2 1/2 hours. It's summer and the trash smells quickly, so whenever I take a bag out I declutter a little to fill it up.

Yppej, I know "simple" means different things to different people, and throwing everything you don't want into the landfill is certainly "simple" in the sense of "requiring minimal effort" but is your house really cluttered up by actual garbage, or are you throwing still usable items into your trash bags?

This thread is inspiring me--I will plan to do half an hour a day of pure decluttering.

We disbanded our plant society, and I am decluttering the items belonging to the society. We had rented a storage shed for 30 years to contain them. DH was super efficient and he cleaned it out in two hours, including the wood pieces used for shelving. He piled it all into his truck and brought it home.

the properties are:

12 Rubbermaid bins of tubes and bases used in shows--we tried to give to the Iowa society, but that didnt work out. So, my garden club ladies took half of them. I will try again to off load the others to Iowa later.

110 baskets used in sales--I put some out in the alley wih a Nextdoor notice to our neighbohood, and someone took them straght away. Yay! I took the rest to the Iris Society yesterday. They needed reinforcements for their stock.

20 old style backdrops used in design--I offered a few to garden club ladies, all of them were taken and someone requested a few more. I put the rest out in the alley with a Nextdoor notice. No takers. Bummer. It just occured to me that I can gather up a few of these and take them to another group of garden club ladies, and rid myself of some of them that way.

20 new style backdrops for design--A few club members are keeping one each. The Iris Society will take 5. That leaves about a dozen to give away. Again, I will parade these in front of garden club ladies and they will take some or all. The life of a garden club lady is to fill up one's basement with crap.

see, these objects are unique, you cant go to ebay or craigslist and get them, so that is why I have to make an effort to find a home for them.

1 large cardboard box of sign holders. These will be burned in our fireplace, they are good fuel.

1 large easel--garden club snapped this up

2 large metal pole sign holders--garden club snapped them up

ladder--a society member will take this

several signs about the plant society, most hideous, one beautiful. The hideous ones went immediately into the dumpster, no dilemma. The beautiful sign-- sigh. I took it into my house. I will eventually jettison it to the landfill, but I cant bring myself to do that yet. It is the ONE THING I have some sentiment about and also I am fond of the object, it is a noce piece of commercial art.

1 box of plastic baggies of various sizes--DH will drive those to Iowa to give to his family. He thinks they will use them.

$1600- this will be easy to dispose of, our membership voted on which organizatin gets it.

I will have all of this done by December 31. I have to file forms with our state's attorney general's office disclosing where the property goes, and I send final dissolutions notice to Secretary of State. Then I am done, my job as President is complete.

I have already accepted a position as VIce President of a garden club. I think they nominated me because I bring them objects for their basements.

Yay! So nice to know others of you out there are facing your clutter too!

Iris Lilies, it sounds like you are tackling a big job and getting through it quickly. Congrats!

Can you hang the sign in your own garden, IL? I wouldnot want to part with it, either.

Well, I got through another three hours today, but I am feeling extremely grumpy about it. I'm just in a stage where it seems like I will NEVER get through it all. I'm finally reading Marie Kondo's book, and while I basically agree with her strategies (though I am having to adjust them somewhat to my situation), I just feel like it will take me YEARS to organize my home in "one fell swoop" the way she describes it.

Rationally, I know from doing these 40-hour purges at other times that I will, eventually, see a lot of progress and feel encouraged again, but it's tough right now.

I'm not purging in the order Kondo describes (clothes, books, misc., etc.) because my highest priority right now is just to make my home presentable, and it's just not at the moment. The upstairs hallway is full of boxes I need to go through, there are piles of stuff on the floor of my bedroom and on the desk and bed in the guest bedroom, and more piles of stuff in the dining room and living room. In the two days since I've been back, I've filled up the recycling bin halfway and started another box for Goodwill. But there is still so much left to do.

I'm telling myself to just try not to panic, to just put one foot in front of the other, to just complete the 40 hours and then see where things are, but I guess I'm having an attack of impatience today.

Anyway, thanks for "listening!"

New total: 24 hours.

Thread Information