Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Setting a Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 2017

Yppej
    Each day I am trying on another one of my old Victoria's Secrets outfits and mainly putting them in clothes purgatory. Clothes purgatory is a drawer where things sit until I toss them permanently. I get rid of at least one item per week and some weeks quite a bit more. I have dug things out that are worn when painting etc. But the too small/too young things don't get resurrected and just wait until I admit yeah, not gonna happen.

I am slowly getting back to working on this goal. I did ninety minutes yesterday, so my new total is 33.

Two more hours today. New total: 35.

Yppej
    I finally got rid of the remaining 1/8 can of some instant coffee I did not like, also a spatula with the end melted. I also got out my teapot and could not get it cleaned so it may go, though my mother gave it to me since it was my grandmother's as an heirloom. But I never use it, it just sits in a hidden corner of the cupboard.

WTG, everyone! I am slowly but surely peeling away some of the things I don't love. But the things that bring me joy will stay. I will never be a minimalist - -
    and I'm ok with that. yppej, can you use the teapot for something else? I have a lidless one I plant in, and other that works as a vase/cache pot. If you like the teapot, repurpose it. If you don't care for it, then of course get rid of it. Me, I like things with stories and history. I feel a deep connection to my family when I use everyday items passed down, imagining my great grand mother as a young bride in the late 1870s, serving coffee and using the little china painted creamer that my grandma gave me when I first "went to housekeeping", as she called it. Those connections to the past, even through old, everyday items I have with unknown provenance, are so precious to me. They enrich my life. Can I live without them? Of course I can. But I would rather not, given the choice, lol.

Sorry for the hijack - I have plenty to declutter without out getting rid of my "treasures"... for yesterday's 15 minutes, I have a big stack of papers and 8 magazines to recycle, two more books for the library sale, and I trashed a large bag of packing/wrapping paper that was too brittle to use.

Yppej
    Repurposing is a great idea, thanks. I could use it for tall items like rulers.

I am still chipping away at this goal. New deadline is Monday, September 18. Two more hours today. New total: 37!

Did the final 3 hours this past weekend so finally reached my goal, a few weeks later than planned.

I still have lots of work to do, but the major accomplishments of this particular purge is that I got rid of a lot of clutter in my bedroom from off the floor and bureau (more about the bureau soon in another thread).

Despite the fact that I know rationally that I got rid of a lot this summer, the upstairs hallway is still pretty bad. I'd like to figure out a system for "chipping away" at the existing clutter even when my work schedule is full as it is now. I may try to set a goal of devoting just 1 hour a weekend on the weekends when I do have my daughter and 2 hours a weekend on the weekends I don't have her. Not sure, but I'll keep you all posted, of course!

Also, I never dealt with my office at all, and I REALLY need to make that the next priority. Have to figure that out too.

In any case, thanks to all of you who supported me last summer as I was working on this. It really helped keep me going.

New total: 40!

Thread Information