Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting a Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 2017

Good show, ejchase! I really like your thoughts on decluttering. I am still drowning in stuff, but since some of it funds my alternative income stream, I'm going to have to find a way to live with that portion of it. I think I'm just going to accept that one of our rooms is going to host stacks of tubs and boxes. And since I'm OLD, it's going to have to be a downstairs room. With our house layout, it's going to be a public room that gets walked through on the way to other rooms. I've started to put stacks of things on wheels - really!! so that I can get to the things behind them. Today's challenge is to get the stuff that has moved into the living and dining rooms corralled back into the family room in some sense of order. Well, SOME of the stuff, anyway! Because there was a plant sale at a local outlet nursery(99 cent hellebores and hydrangeas!) and my DD went shopping there, lol.

Chicken Lady, I see my hand-me-down friend often, and I gave her 19 items today.

Early morning, thanks for the support. I hope your living and dining rooms are a little clearer now.

I did two more hours today. New total: 11.

I love the logic of being pleased to have only 4 boxes when there were 12! If I can look at things that way it reduces things significantly. ejchase you should be quite proud of yourself.

I's great that you can see your friend a lot and keep the items moving!

also, I agree that a 2/3 reduction is major progress!

So, I've spent the last two weeks preparing the house for our visitors--my son and his new gf. It took two weeks. All the while I'm painting trim, tidying closets, washing windows, decluttering nooks and crannies I'm thinking to myself (angrily I might add) "it should not take two full weeks to prepare for one weekend visitor." Yes, I'm working. Yes, my time is limited. But really. I need to have a plan to stay on top of things. I used to do Flylady, and I think I might go back to her routines. They make sense, and they're really made for people like me--borderline adult ADD, meaning I get sensory overload easily and shut down at the least amount of clutter and then I just don't see it until I have to. It's one reason nearly my whole house is black, brown and beige.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh Catherine! I clean bathrooms, bake something, and try to clean the kitchen. Then I sweep and put clean sheets on the beds! Nothing you mentioned would have been on my list.

last time ds and future dil came I asked if they were bringing the dog so I would know if I had to clean the stacks of paper off the dining porch floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Oh Catherine! I clean bathrooms, bake something, and try to clean the kitchen. Then I sweep and put clean sheets on the beds! Nothing you mentioned would have been on my list.

last time ds and future dil came I asked if they were bringing the dog so I would know if I had to clean the stacks of paper off the dining porch floor.
    The trim was in my bedroom. Years ago it used to be red, then we repainted it green, but we didn't do a good job, and some of the door jambs still had red peaking through. Plus I no longer like the green trim. So I white-washed it. My windows really didn't look great at all--maybe I've been influenced by my Scottish MIL who used to say "Scottish folk like clean windaes." I'm glad I tackled kitchen nooks, because at one time we had mice. We got rid of them, but didn't realize they had set up house in that weird space you can never get to in the L underneath the sink. It was pretty gross.

At the end of the day, I was able to really feel that even if she winds up being a bit of a fuss-pot (which I think she is) I won't be caught in an embarrassing situation. And I can enjoy the next two weeks before my next project in a nice clean house!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You guys are all making great progress! When I was working f.t. I would let things build up and then spend an entire weekend cleaning. Ugh! Now with only working about 10 hours/week I have plenty of time to keep things organized and clean. Having the time sure makes a difference. I think it makes a difference once the kids are gone too. I had some friends that used to set the timer and clean for 15 min's/day and that worked for them. They could make progress since there was 2 of them. Different strategies work for different people.

Yppej
    You all are inspiring me. Over the time span of this thread I have now organized a portion of the car, under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, two closets, my jewelry, and one five drawer dresser. Today I worked a little on paperwork, but that is more overwhelming. I also finally tackled the DVD's, culling out a bunch that my ex-boyfriend left over 3 years ago. If my brother does not want them I will try to sell them all at once to a store that buys them used and if they won't buy them then toss them.

Yppej, a lot of libraries will accept DVDs either for their collection or for sale at fundraisers. Ours does and many around us do also.

Thread Information