Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Setting a Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 2017

Did two more hours today. I focused on the drawer of my bedside table which had gotten so packed with stuff that I could barely find anything in it. I moved a lot of stuff out and then ordered some drawer dividers to make it easier to see and get to what's in there.

I also went through my sock drawer and found a bunch of socks with holes and without pairs which I could throw out.

It was a little insane to spend two whole hours on these drawers when there is more visible clutter all over my house right now, but it felt good nevertheless.

New total: 30.5.

Yppej
    I am delivering my post hole digger to a new home today. It is manual and I used it once and never wanted to ever do that hard labor again, but I have hung onto it for over a decade. Sunk cost fallacy I guess, though it cost maybe $20.00.
    Last edited by Yppej; 8-22-17 at 7:34pm.

Congrats, Yppej, on finally getting rid of the post hole digger.

I did another hour yesterday. New total: 31.5.

Yppej
    I am Kondoing my first book, by which I mean removing the parts that don't speak to me and keeping the parts that do, which when done I will type up in a condensed "book" of lesser bulk. It feels weird.

Doesn't that take longer than just dusting the book for 50 years? Could you get it in e-book?

Yppej
    I don't like e-books. My eyes already give out sometimes from all the screen time I have at work, etc. If you ever don't see me posting for awhile that's why, it's not that I'm upset with anyone.

Hi All,

My original goal here was to complete 40 hours of decluttering in my house by Monday, August 28, when my regular teaching schedule resumes. But as it turns out, this week I have to put decluttering on the back burner and catch up on some last-minute lesson planning and administrative work. Plus, I have my daughter this weekend and am going to a couple of fun one-time-only cultural events that I don't want to miss. So I'm moving my deadline to Tuesday, September 5. My daughter will be with her dad for the three-day weekend before that, so I think it will be a good time to make my final push.

I'd also set a goal of doing 20 hours in my office, which I never even started on. But that's important. My office at school is so bad I'm embarrassed to have people in it, and that's not a good way to live. So I'm going to move the deadline for that goal to Monday, October 2. I may also reduce that goal to just 10 hours just to be more realistic. I think I could make my office a space I could feel nurtured by and proud of in that period of time, but we'll see.

Thanks again to all of you offering support and sharing your own decluttering stories. It really helps.

Yppej
    EJ you have done a lot and should be proud.

My son (and on the weekend I) are going to try again to mouseproof the basement. It has been several years since we last did this. It involves removing all insulation, tossing what is worn and not reuseable, looking for where sunlight seeps through the foundation, sealing those gaps with pest block, and replacing the insulation. Besides old insulation I expect I will notice other toss worthy things. We have also upgraded to plastic traps and as I find the old wooden Victor ones I've discarding them as they are difficult to clean and reuse. Last time I took a week off work as it's a big project, but I'm at a new job and don't have vacation banked.

Thanks, Yppej, for your kind words.

Good luck with your mouse-proofing project!

I'm dipping my toe in the water of packing up my household belongings, starting with the Command Center/art studio/library/sewing room. This will take awhile, but at least I have plenty of boxes.

Thread Information