Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and my book club of two?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Have you even read K-Von?

I read the library one,the book burning one. Or skimmed it. Dont remember much of it.

Coincidentally, I just offered a two-woman book club to my DIL, who is an avid reader. She reads constantly. So I saw a "best beach books of 2017" article in CNN and asked her if she'd be interested in both of us reading one.

We chose Touch by Courtney Maum: suits both DIL and I. Interesting topic: technology and culture. The tone is really a little bit more geared to Millennials or GenXers. But I'm enjoying it. It's been a while since I read fiction.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZAEHWZ...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting about the Harry Potter books, the first one is written a 6th grade reading level, and each one advances a grade level, making the last 2 challenging reading even for many adults. The author deals with all of the universal themes, on many levels, with a fair amount of whimsy and word play, which I think is what makes them so appealing for adults.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You said "Harry Potter..if you are not familiar with it..."

Planet to UL, we are glad you touched down in our world.

Good literature for children is good stuff. The Harry Potter books are in the tradition of great English fantasy for youth. The Britsish do it best.

Harry Potter books have spawned much critical literature analyzing them. Not as much as Vonnegut, but a lot. Sure they arent in the same literary class as Vonnegut, but neither are they anywhere near anything
    Disney.
    Another good British Young Adults' writer is Philip Pullman. I buy his trilogy of novels His Dark Materials as a gift for 12 year olds, or younher if they are good readers!

I read a Harry Potter or two and enjoyed them, but then it felt like more of the same thing so I did not continue with the series. I feel the same way about a lot of adult series too. I agree that children's literature can be wonderful, e.g. The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland. The Book Thief is supposed to be young adult fiction, but I was one of many not-so-young adults who loved it.
    I read all of KV when I was younger, but it was so long ago that I can only remember it was strange stuff and I liked it.

My daughter is a big HP fan. Read the books. Seen the movies. Been to the theme park.

It's a little tiresome, but a kid who reads when they could be gaming is no small thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Interesting about the Harry Potter books, the first one is written a 6th grade reading level, and each one advances a grade level, making the last 2 challenging reading even for many adults. The author deals with all of the universal themes, on many levels, with a fair amount of whimsy and word play, which I think is what makes them so appealing for adults.
    I had never heard this---I never got through half of the first one because I just thought it was poorly written for all the hype it was getting. Maybe I'll give them another try.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I had never heard this---I never got through half of the first one because I just thought it was poorly written for all the hype it was getting. Maybe I'll give them another try.
    What does "poorly written" mean?

Do you, generally, read fantasy, or Brit Kid Lit?

In the realm of British children's fantasy literature, I just love The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, etc.). As others have said, although they are "children's" books, they touch on a lot of universal themes. I re-read the entire series a few years ago with my kids and still really enjoyed it even as an adult.

p.s. I put a hold on Welcome to the Monkey House at our local library, thanks for the recommendation!

Thread Information