Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej

June Frugals

I cut down a bush by hand rather than buy or rent a chainsaw. This will give access to an area of the foundation where i believe mice and the occasional chipmunk have been getting in. With pest block gap sealer I hope to continue my 20 year battle against rodents, so far without hiring an exterminator. I did talk to one who lives in my neighborhood and his recommendation was bait. To me that does not find and fix the root cause and becomes just another recurring expense.

Bait is also bad because sometimes the creature escapes and lives long enough to be eaten by a predator. Then you kill the predator that would have helped with ongoing pest control.

Yppej
    Good point CL. Was the rest of your week calmer?

Yes it is better.

my frugal things so far this month are bringing home spoiled vegetables and bread from the foodbank on Thursday to feed my chickens for the week, working in my garden so that it doesn't get completely overrun, picking the cherries from my trees (hopefully pie today) and picking my radishes to make a dish for dinner tonight.

What time cherry pie?

Well, the pie will be ready in half an hour, but I'm not serving it until after dinner.

dh just fixed a $70 pump with a $10 part. I'm lucky he knows how to do stuff. (That's why he gets pie.)

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Went to buy a lamp for my office/bedroom. Wanted something with different task lighting capabilities. Went to favorite thrift store. There, sitting outside, was a pole lamp with five lights on flexible necks, shades in gumdrop colors--pink, coral, white, root beer, red...it's really a fun lamp.

And as when I took it inside to test, only 3 out of the 5 bulbs lit up, so I got it for $2.00 plus tax. When I plugged it in at home, I found out it's a three way switch and ALL the lights worked. I'm a Happy Camper!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Yppej
    We lured a neighborhood cat into the house but it did not catch the chipmunk.

Today was not particularly frugal. I stocked up on sale nonperishables at the grocery store but more than offset it by going to get my toenails done. As my vision gets worse with age I have trouble seeing my toes, so this is the first time I had this done. They tried to overcharge me although I told them twice I did not want all their extras like sand and hot stones and lotion massages on my feet. But they adjusted the price down in the end.

I really did not like someone touching my feet in part because of some sensitive scar tissue there, and they kept trying to make me put my feet in this cold water. Other people used the basin before me and I did not know how clean it was. There was no smell of chlorine or other cleansing agent. And I wasn't sure if they cleaned the toenail clippers, files, etc between customers. There was a big language barrier.

Are there magnifying mirrors maybe so I can tend to my feet myself? The glamorous salon life is not for me!

I got a few shirts on sale and with a coupon. Most of what I tried on showed the seams of my bra straps through the fabric. So my purchases were limited. I don't think I can take credit for that as a frugal action.

Overall I felt like a curmudgeon.

Went to yard sales today and got Norwegian wool for a dollar a skein. I am going to try making a shawl with it. Got a large button easy visibility speaker phone for the landline, also a dollar. Found a neat old knitting holder (wooden handles, cotton and silk bag) for a dollar fifty. A onesie and a velour duck sweatshirt for upcoming Grandbaby, 75 cents.

HappyHiker: I'm glad to hear of your success with the lamp. Our night table lamp just died, and I'm trying to restrain myself from running right out and buying a new one. I would like to take the time to find something I really love, and hopefully at a good price. DH is the one who thought of a banker's lamp we have in the living room that isn't used much, which will serve as a viable interim solution. This will take the urgency out of the situation and allow me to take the time to make a well-considered choice.
    I picked a wonderful bouquet of peonies from the garden.
    We got steamers (clams) at the grocery store for 3.99/lb. They typically charge about 15.00/lb for these in a restaurant, so we're eating well at home.

Thread Information