Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long distance walking?

Long distance walking?

Have you walked across a state or a country?

I read a book about long distance walking by Satish Kumar called Path Without Destination.

It got me thinking, how difficult would it be to walk across an entire state or whole country?

Obviously Delaware would be easier than Montana, but still...

Well, a friend and I were chatting and walking along with my dog last year. It was a gorgeous day, lovely temp, scenery and breeze on the old rail trail. Four hours later, we decided that while a nice day has great possibilities, any longer was not in the cards.

Years ago, when DH and I were broke but had lots of energy we walked for miles in a day, had a coffee and then walked back. Walking across a geographic area simply never occurred to us.

So, in answer to your question, no.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've got a friend with a goal to walk a 5K in every county in TX. He's about to hit 100! Still has a long way to go.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We walk daily. When we go on a trip we often walk 20k steps/day. That’s enough.

A Facebook acquaintance of mine did this vacation a few years ago and I thought it sounded really cool:

https://www.celtictrailswalkingholid...waAqVMEALw_wcB

UL, it occurred to me this morning that a number of people that I have met make an effort to hike a portion of the Trans-Canada Trail each year. I have walked on some parts of it but never had the goal of doing more.
    https://thegreattrail.ca/explore-the-map/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Reminded me of a book I read long ago, Peter Jenkins "Walk Across America", and the very interesting situations and characters he met along the way.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

If you have a chance, read this guy's blog. A couple years ago he did the triple crown (App trail, PCT and Continental Divide) in ONE year. He recently finished and broke a record hiking FKT (fastest known time) on the Arizona Trail.

I've met him. He's pretty fascinating. I follow his travels on Instagram and worry about him like a mother would. At times he becomes hallucinatory, and he's lost a bunch of weight on these various treks. But he's always lucid enough to blog his experience. And his photos are coffee table book-worthy.

http://freeoutside.com/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Then there's Peace Pilgrim who walked across the country and back 3 times I think. Ironically, she died when someone offered her a lift to a speaking engagement she was going to be late for otherwise and they were in a car accident.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Walking is my principal form of recreation. I'm hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago next year after I retire.

Thread Information