Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices dropping.

Gas prices dropping.

I noticed gas prices were a little lower. I filled the wife's car up and the price was 2.03. That's not a big drop, it seems to have been around 2.15 or so for quite a while. I don't really pay that much attention to the price of car gas. The fuel for the plane has been either 2.99 or 3.72, depending on where I buy it for the last year.

so I guess we still have a few years to peak oil.

I guess that's why there are so many huge trucks on the road again. We have short memories.

Williamsmith
    Our local gas prices are between 2.49 to 2.53. Just across the state line in Ohio it is 2.05. The difference is Pennsylvanias state gasoline tax. So I drive over to Ohio and buy my gasoline, lottery tickets, alcoholic beverages and bike and dine out there often. Duh?

Here in the Chicago area I'm paying about $2.30 outside of Cook County. Crook has its own gas tax on top of state and fed, which is crazy. I usually buy my gas outside of Cook (where I live).

I'm happy with the lower gas prices. I'm driving hundreds of miles a week extra due to diving.

Instead of a Tesla (the boring choice) I just bought a 4-door sedan with a 6.2L supercharged Hemi engine, developing 707 hp and 650 ft-lb of torque as-delivered from the factory. Top speed is 205mph, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, 11.0 second quarter-mile times.

On a 5000 mile road trip started the day I bought it, which included ~1500 miles of rather boring break-in driving, I achieved 22.6 mpg. With several passengers, and a trunk full of the entire contents of a recent-model Subaru Outback that had been packed for the road trip. Which is pretty impressive if you think about it.

It's a great time to be into fast cars - there are so many ~500hp+ options right off-the-shelf, for reasonable amounts of money.

Ever since we broke out of the three and four dollar a gallon gas it's seemed like a bargain. We might be down a dime or two and it's even summer when they ramp up prices. I've never had a fancy car urge, but could see going retro with an old Chevy Bel Air for a town car. There is a company called ICON Derelicts in California that takes vintage cars and completely rebuilds nearly everything, but retains the rust and patina of an old beater. That's my car fantasy. They are very expensive. Here is a short video of their history from Car and Driver magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIh1Sm4DyAE

A long road trip in a big muscle car is not without some vague attraction.

I'm in the midst of a lengthy road trip at the moment in our 9 mpg motorhome. We left Ohio on the 1st, heading west until we hit the ocean, where we'll turn right until approximately Oregon and then a final right turn for the return trip. Gasoline prices have been anywhere between a low of $1.89 somewhere in Oklahoma and a high (so far) of $2.29 in the Albuquerque NM area.
    The lower fuel prices of the past several years has definitely increased our cruising range. Cross-country trips will be few and far between if we jump back up to those $4.00 per gallon prices.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We will be trading cars soon. The wife will probably get a Lincoln SUV, and I'm leaning towards the BMW M6 convertible.

neither gets great gas mileage, but who cares.

Of coarse gas will shoot up to $5.00 a gallon after I buy.

We sold the jeep and bought a chevy volt. It's $1.25 to charge it fully which gives us 40 miles. When we drive on gas it gets 40 mpg. But we only full once every 4-6 weeks.

I like clean air. No emissions. Wind, nuclear, and dams provide a lot of our electricity in Arizona.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    We sold the jeep and bought a chevy volt. It's $1.25 to charge it fully which gives us 40 miles. When we drive on gas it gets 40 mpg. But we only full once every 4-6 weeks.

I like clean air. No emissions. Wind, nuclear, and dams provide a lot of our electricity in Arizona.
    In Arizona I imagine you use your air conditioner a lot.

Thread Information