Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices dropping.

I get about 33 mph in my Focus. I've been thinking about trading up to an Escape SUV once this car is paid off, but the lack of car payments and the good gas mileage to keep costs down are a huge draw.

Still piloting my Volkswagen diesel. 40-42 city; 52-55 highway. Paid for, not rusty, barely broken in. It needs a little work (radio that I don't listen to doesn't pull in many stations, etc.). Diesel fluctuates in price but lately has been within a quarter or so of regular unleaded. Likely the last car I'll ever have to own. Fine by me. I still like it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes - AC is on most of the year.

We're thinking of incorporating solar panels into a shade structure in our backyard ... to help with electricity that doesn't have emissions.

Or maybe you meant AC in the car? That is also a yes. A charge lasts 30-35 miles instead of 40 when it's really hot.

Yppej
    The lower gas prices are helping me not only with transportation but also home heating, airline travel, and even food. So much of our economy is based on petroleum. I think it is helping keep employment high outside the oil and gas industry.

I don't pay much attention to the gas prices as I get 48 mpg, and also, I don't commute to work. My personal gas bill is about $30 a month. If I have to drive to the airport, or to Philadelphia for research, I might have to buy another tank of gas, but just for personal use, it's not a major consideration on my budget at all.

Alan, have a great time on your RV trip!! I love road trips. Report back and tell us about your experiences out West!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I use about 1200 gal of fuel a year in the plane and about 600 gal in the cars. I don't drive near as much since I moved and no longer work. So the price of fuel does not effect me. But it is nevertheless nice to spend less.

Im sure it helps those on a tighter budget.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I guess that's why there are so many huge trucks on the road again. We have short memories.
    Has there really been a change? I see lots of big trucks still, but instead of delivering to local stores, they are simply delivering from warehouse type stores or places like Amazon. I know there was one group, who had a push to be closed on Saturday, and instead now have Sunday deliveries, and both their fuel costs went up, and the replacement vehicles they are looking at, are not big enough.

We only drive about 3,000 miles/year so gas prices aren't a huge impact on my budget one way or the other. That said, anytime we go away for the weekend we always stop at the Arco station on the southbound 101 in Marin county because gas there is always about 30 cents cheaper than any other station in the area. Last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when we went to a friend's for a barbecue and I think we paid $2.59.

Prices will probably remain cheap until the saudis give up on trying to drive the oil fracking boom in America out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Has there really been a change? I see lots of big trucks still, but instead of delivering to local stores, they are simply delivering from warehouse type stores or places like Amazon.
    I suspect pinkytoe is referring to "full-size" (who determined that?) pickup trucks and larger SUVs rather than delivery trucks. Chrysler is no longer offering their Dart and 200 because they just didn't sell, and Ford is looking at moving manufacturing of their Focus compact from Michigan to China (the smaller Fiesta and larger Fusion are already built OUS) because people aren't buying them; they're buying F150s and Edges. Light trucks get far better fuel mileage than they did. But with the price of gasoline historically low, people are reverting to old buying patterns.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information