Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices dropping.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We only drive about 3,000 miles/year so gas prices aren't a huge impact on my budget one way or the other. That said, anytime we go away for the weekend we always stop at the Arco station on the southbound 101 in Marin county because gas there is always about 30 cents cheaper than any other station in the area. Last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when we went to a friend's for a barbecue and I think we paid $2.59.

Prices will probably remain cheap until the saudis give up on trying to drive the oil fracking boom in America out of business.
    I would be pleased to see the fracking business pick up. Pennsylvania is poised to gather a windfall tax from all the wells that have been drilled and capped. There are signs that the fracking industry is preparing the transportation network that would make this profitable. Perfect timing to help Pennsylvania get a grip on their government funding crisis and great for the economy.

Williamsmith, are you not concerned about the impact of fracking on your state's water?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Alan, have a great time on your RV trip!! I love road trips. Report back and tell us about your experiences out West!
    Yesterday we were at Petrified Forest National Park when my wife snapped this pic for Facebook. She tagged it as "My view of Arizona".

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Great picture!! I've never been, but my son and husband went once--they brought me back a souvenir piece of petrified rock which I still have on my dresser.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Williamsmith, are you not concerned about the impact of fracking on your state's water?
    I am concerned about the impact of anything which may compromise the water supply, of course. There has been no substantitive research that has resulted in a determination that fracking causes systemic or widespread impact in the quality of the water supply. There have been high profile isolated instances where this has occurred but lacking a pre drilling baseline it is impossible to tell exactly what happened.

But there are many other threats to the water supply that are occurring right now.....agricultural runoff and covering the absorption surface area with new housing developments such as roofing, paving and non permeable ground cover.....to name two. The overuse of the local water aquifer compared to its annual replenishment.....to name another.

There are plenty of benefits to the natural gas boom. Not the least of which is the reduction of CO2 emissions by huge percentages as the reliance on coal fueled electricity is negated. As well, the owners of rural property are enjoying huge financial gains and against all predictions....rural land is more valuable than ever causing mortgage defaults to become even rarer.

Our Department of Natural Resources has an enforcement division which should serve to protect the water as it does in other threats that I mentioned. To shun this resource would be a step toward "involuntary simplicity". So far, people have been unwilling to give up their air conditioning, refrigeration, gasoline and diesel powered vehicles, airplanes, electricity, food, childbearing and home building ......voluntarily. You can't do this all without affordable energy.

they could regulate it more, they could disclose the chemicals used, they could limit pollution or force clean up. They don't BECAUSE CORRUPTION. That's really all there is to it.

It has nothing to do with air conditioning, and electricity, and etc.. Although that all may indeed be unsustainable, that's just a distraction from actually regulating this stuff properly it's all: "don't look here, look at that over there!", meanwhile ...

Global carbon may be a difficult problem, clean water is not, it's just about policy to actually have it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yes, I was referring to passenger trucks in this instance. Since we moved to Colorado, we notice a lot of really large, very expensive trucks on the road, ex Ford F-350 I guess because payments are affordable and gas is cheap. At the same time, one reads that the sub prime auto loan market is problematic.

You're in my state Alan! Enjoy. It's beautiful.

Yppej
    Years ago when my natural gas water heater broke I looked at various options. Solar wasn't feasible due to the orientation of my roof, and operational costs were the same with oil, so rather than pay to change over the piping I stayed with what I had and I regret it. Natural gas is provided by a monopoly utility that is constantly raising prices whereas oil is a competitive marketplace with many local dealers and prices have fallen over the years. Electric by the same utility is exorbitant and the worst way to go in my area.

Gas is under $2.00 again. How low can it go? I even paid $2.66 a gallon to fill the plane yesterday. That’s the lowest I’ve ever paid. I’m going down to Key West on Sunday and the round trip will only cost me $80 in fuel.

Thread Information