Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 182

Thread: Will Trump behave himself at the G20 summit?

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,396
    I don't know that Trump will really have that much trouble with the rest of the world at a G20 summit (possibly protectionism though I wouldn't count on him for fighting reliably for that if that is what one wanted, possibly climate change). Mostly Trump may be a disaster for the poor citizens of the U.S., but frankly that really isn't a problem the rest of the world cares about, that is problem of the poor people living here. The rest of the world may care about trade and to a lesser extent about climate change (well of course money comes first).

    Bill Clinton hmm, it's a different kind of disaster than Trump, Bill Clinton actually understood politics and much about the world, which doesn't mean all his policies were good, merely that he wasn't completely clueless. And so he had that going for him even with Lewinsky.

    As for Lewinsky, basically all relationships with such an extreme power imbalance are somewhat exploitative (and no it's not the less powerful person's (Lewinsky's) fault). Extreme age differences like that where one person is still quite young, and the other much older, are almost always exploitative in a way (plus an intern and the president, talk about a power imbalance). So no it's not Lewinsky with the power, and yes it is a rather screwed up situation, but what can you do, it's legal and they are adults, and it might also be cruel to Hillary (duh, cheating on one's wife isn't usually being a good husband unless it's an open marriage) but neither did she divorce him.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  2. #32
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    People like Rob.......are going to have to learn to pace themselves. Trump could very easily finish out this term and be elected again. By then, perhaps the media will have self destructed and we will get all the news via twitter. Kinda like returning to the telegraph and the pony express.

    I like a lot of his stated policy. However, I can't picture inviting the Orange One to dinner.......but I would cook for his wife.
    We of the 85006 can be counted on to (in legal ways only) work against the Orange One having a second go at power. We can be counted on to agitate for Democrats only to be elected in 2018 so as to block the Orange One from further human rights reductions and further erosion of the value of US citizenship viewed the a lens of human rights and also the desirability of the citizenship to begin with.

    I have a hard time believing that the 85006 is the only zip in this large country of over 300 million that will be mobilizing in such a way. Rob

  3. #33
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,965
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It's interesting to see how all the knees are jerking before the man utters a single syllable.
    Maybe whats really bugging me is the level of hysteria and hyperbole directed toward Trump because I think will help to re-elect him in 4 years.

    Just chill, people, and address actual events of the G20, not future fantasies.

  4. #34
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,872
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Maybe whats really bugging me is the level of hysteria and hyperbole directed toward Trump because I think will help to re-elect him in 4 years.

    Just chill, people, and address actual events of the G20, not future fantasies.
    I disagree. Many people in the 85006 who can't work for LEGIT reasons are finding new satisfaction with life as part of The Resistance. I can't speak for the entire metro Phoenix area but in my zip....which I won't repeat again as you'all know it by now - there is a strong sense of ownership in working against the Orange One. To not work against him is to be guilty of quality of life reductions and quality of citizenship reductions and like most people in my zip code, I'm not OK with being quiet, looking the other way and being complicit in these reductions. Rob

  5. #35
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ... but now the residents of the 85006 seem to realize that this is a price tag of living in America - insane government that works against you and not for you. By getting involved in The Resistance,....
    "The Resistance". How precious.

    Rob, I know people who were in The Resistance. In France. During WWII. Where they faced a bullet in the back of the head in a dark alley as their reward every day and night.

    I know people who in the secrecy of their homes produced and distributed underground political literature in the Soviet Union, their reward an all-expenses-paid trip to the Gulag or the psychological treatment center if their actions came to the notice of the authorities.

    I know a fine old lady who went down to Birmingham one fine day in 1961...

    I know a white civil rights attorney, working with William Kunstler, who almost got himself lynched defending people in the South one summer night.

    "The Resistance"....

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,396
    although it's a little conceited there is a lot in the world and in this country to resist, the problem is "The Resistance" (tm) often seems to be mostly just a bunch of Democrats, who are at best merely a lesser evil most of the time. I know that's not everyone involved in protest etc. but it seems to be a decent chunk of people who call themselves "The Resistance".
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Maybe whats really bugging me is the level of hysteria and hyperbole directed toward Trump because I think will help to re-elect him in 4 years.

    Just chill, people, and address actual events of the G20, not future fantasies.
    I think Rogar had it right. There seems to be a sort of Pavlovian response to the very thought of him in some quarters. It's like Trump is the villain they've been yearning for suddenly made flesh.

    I've got no particular love for the guy, but am willing to wait for him to insult some leader or use the wrong fork before I fly into a sputtering rage.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    We of the 85006 can be counted on to (in legal ways only) work against the Orange One having a second go at power. We can be counted on to agitate for Democrats only to be elected in 2018 so as to block the Orange One from further human rights reductions and further erosion of the value of US citizenship viewed the a lens of human rights and also the desirability of the citizenship to begin with.

    I have a hard time believing that the 85006 is the only zip in this large country of over 300 million that will be mobilizing in such a way. Rob
    Historically, the Democrats have been the ones to institutionalize "human rights reductions" and "further erosion of the value of US citizenship". Don't get me wrong...Republicans are pretty much guilty by omission in my book but you've been sold one large horse hockey puck and it has a big "D" branded on it. It must wear you out to see things so clearly, so succinctly and so convincingly and utterly hopeless all the time.

  9. #39
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    It must wear you out to see things so clearly, so succinctly and so convincingly and utterly hopeless all the time.
    With a charged smart phone, Resistance is real!

    (Well, until The Man presses a button in that van over there and disconnects the region from Skynet, as I saw happen several times when I was at Standing Rock... Or uses your location services to come roll you up... But I digress. Resist on!)

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I disagree. Many people in the 85006 who can't work for LEGIT reasons are finding new satisfaction with life as part of The Resistance. I can't speak for the entire metro Phoenix area but in my zip....which I won't repeat again as you'all know it by now - there is a strong sense of ownership in working against the Orange One. To not work against him is to be guilty of quality of life reductions and quality of citizenship reductions and like most people in my zip code, I'm not OK with being quiet, looking the other way and being complicit in these reductions. Rob
    Wouldn't it be nobler and more fulfilling to define yourself by what you're for rather than what you're against? Why make your identity derivative of someone else's, even in the negative sense?

    This whole Trump delenda est thing will necessarily have a very limited life span. What happens when he's gone? Why try to cloak yourself in the glory of dead heroes by appropriating "the Resistance" rather than try to create a new legend from your own efforts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •