Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Trump behave himself at the G20 summit?

Being burdened with having worked in the field, I'm not too terribly concerned about the dangers of EMP, as portrayed in the media or by our more histrionic politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't know if this is within their near future technical abilities,

It would take a nuclear warhead and a missle to get it into the atmosphere. Yes, within future abilities.

There would be some fried electronics, but the fear has been there for so long, with the cold war, a lot of systems were hardened, IMHO.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I suspect there are many people who are in the middle. If Trump would just stop tweeting some of the positive things that have come out of his early presidency would be evident.
    For instance, illegal entry into this country is down. It has never made sense to me why people who sneak in are given preference over people who do things legally and are waiting patiently in line.
    Food stamp use is down. Illegal parents who were getting benefits for their children are fading away, and some states have re instituted the work rule for able bodied adults without minor dependents that was waived by Obama. The working taxpayers deserve to feel like benefits they are paying for are being used properly.
    Sanctuary cities are coming under fire Laws are laws.

The real tragedy as I see it is having a republican house, senate and president yet no meaningful legislation is happening. Where is the tax reform that was supposed to simplify the tax code? What a potential saving that would be if most of the IRS was not needed to sort out our complicated tax code. Where is the replacement for Obamacare we heard about for seven plus years and certainly from the president who frequently talked about his plan that will be cheaper coverage, better coverage for more people? And the whole coal mine thing.

Most of what this president has done is reversible with the swipe of a pen. Executive orders only go so far and can be reversed.

I will I'll acknowledge that the OP's point is well taken. We are touring around Canada for several months and I have heard more Trump ribbing here than in the states. The image that is being projected, by the media and the President is not a good one. Many people have said they will not go to the states when he is in power, and several have said they were outright disgusted to see him leading the country.

But Rob and all better get used to it. The Republican Party is raising money and gearing up for 2018 and 2020. In order for Democrats to get back into power they are going to need to get very good candidates starting at local levels and work their way up the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    But Rob and all better get used to it. The Republican Party is raising money and gearing up for 2018 and 2020. In order for Democrats to get back into power they are going to need to get very good candidates starting at local levels and work their way up the chain.
    It does seem that the Democrats have somewhat neglected the state and local levels for the last twenty years or so. Where they have maintained their traditional local power bases, there are some significant and visible issues. The New York transit system. Detroit's financial collapse. The chronic Illinois/Chicago mess. San Francisco's level of inequality driving tech bus vandalism. You can only distract so much from that by removing old Confederate monuments or touting your municipal climate policy or declaring yourself a sanctuary from immigration law.

Say what you will, the Republicans are benefiting from their work at the local level, which used to be the Democrats' real strength.

Food stamp use is down. Illegal parents who were getting benefits for their children are fading away, and some states have re instituted the work rule for able bodied adults without minor dependents that was waived by Obama. The working taxpayers deserve to feel like benefits they are paying for are being used properly.
    Illegal immigration has been trending downward for years. Food stamp use is declining? Job growth has been trending upward for years. Or maybe people are just giving up and starving to death; Trump has nothing to do with it. Sanctuary cities coming under fire? Good luck with that--sanctuary cities are fighting back. And by all means, let's cut off food to the children of undocumented workers, without whom this country's economy would probably tank.

This taxpayer is sick of her money going for pointless wars and limitless greed. Trump's main accomplishment is making himself rich at our expense.

The real tragedy as I see it is having a republican house, senate and president yet no meaningful legislation is happening. Where is the tax reform that was supposed to simplify the tax code? What a potential saving that would be if most of the IRS was not needed to sort out our complicated tax code. Where is the replacement for Obamacare we heard about for seven plus years and certainly from the president who frequently talked about his plan that will be cheaper coverage, better coverage for more people? And the whole coal mine thing.

I think we're seeing a couple of things. First, a CEO is a dictator, not a president and the skill sets aren't particularly similar.

Second, Trump inadvertently called the Republican's bluff earlier this week (last week?) when he said that if they couldn't agree on a replacement he wanted the senate to just do repeal now and worry about replacement later. Since the senate has declined to take up his offer obviously those thousand votes to repeal when Obama was still president were just for show and had about as much seriousness as Trump's promises of better, cheaper healthcare, a beautiful wall, more dying fossil fuel jobs.

Please point me to the law that says local law enforcement has to assist with immigration issues.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Please point me to the law that says local law enforcement has to assist with immigration issues.
    This is the applicable law: Section 1373 of Title VIII of the United States Code. It requires local law enforcement to share immigration status with INS. The question isn't whether there is a law defining local jurisdiction responsibilities to the Federal immigration enforcement officials......it is whether the President has the authority to attach a punishment in the form of an executive order to withhold federal funding to local jurisdictions that refuse to allow their employees to provide the information required by the law. There is no penalty written into the law by Congress. Is it within the preview of the President constitutionally to hold federal funding for all manner of categories of grants including Medicare for failure to assist by providing information? Or is it up to Congress whose role was outlined strictly by the Constitution as that of determining the dispersal of federal funds collected? I could see Congress withholding federal grant money for law enforcement agencies that have a policy no to provide information to immigration but for the President to type out an executive order regarding withholding all funding ....seems a stretch to me.

In our state single people can only get food stamps for 3 months. This is intended to help them until they can find work and 3 months is the time they give you. YOu also can qualify for economic aid of 200/month for 3 months. This helped many of our clients. Now that I am retired I am not sure if this has changed here or not. I sure hope not. Our country wastes billions on wars, helping other countries, etc yet we let our own people suffer. Some people truly lack empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    This is the applicable law: Section 1373 of Title VIII of the United States Code. It requires local law enforcement to share immigration status with INS.
    Does Federal law require local law enforcement to *determine* immigration status though? Or to hold people on suspected immigration violations, at local expense, until ICE arrives? My county just passed one of those (silly-IMO) "sanctuary county" laws, and the text seems to address the unfunded-mandate portion of the problem, as well as reinforce that our local law enforcement doesn't inquire about immigration status or maintain records of such things unless they are connected with some other crime.

Thread Information