Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Warren and Indian heritage, checking off boxes

I have to say, “appropriated inappropriately” is a great turn of phrase.

Less clever will be the various attention grabbing stunts by the twenty or so contenders we will see leading to the Democratic Convention. Strange and wonderful bills will be proposed. The middle school lexicon will be scoured for insults. Investigators will investigate and investigators will investigate the investigators. It will be like Game of Thrones with a less attractive cast.

I am a bit Osage, enough to say that I am but not enough to make any claims or throw it around. My great grandfather was full or a little less, I forget, but I know his name was Cloud. They were a tall, beautiful but fierce people which explains my boy's heights and my don't mess with me attitude.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

The lesson here is that, if you're a woman, any small misstep--no matter how harmless, inconsequential, or even false--will follow you forever and provide endless fodder for angry rants and calls for apologies or imprisonment.

Like Hillary Clinton's emails--when countless people in the Bush and Trump administrations have used private servers and go unchallenged, and Representative Kevin McCarthy's family claiming native ancestry they don't have to secure government contracts. Males in the government can lie, cheat, and steal on a daily basis and go unchallenged. The double standard is thriving in our toxic political climate.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The lesson here is that, if you're a woman, any small misstep--no matter how harmless, inconsequential, or even false--will follow you forever and provide endless fodder for angry rants and calls for apologies or imprisonment.

Like Hillary Clinton's emails--when countless people in the Bush and Trump administrations have used private servers and go unchallenged, and Representative Kevin McCarthy's family claiming native ancestry they don't have to secure government contracts. Males in the government can lie, cheat, and steal on a daily basis and go unchallenged. The double standard is thriving in our toxic political climate.
    Oh I don’t know. Ward Churchill was pretty well mocked back in his day.

The good thing about this may be that if the one drop of blood (or six genetic markers) standard is generally accepted, than so few of us are a single breed that identity politics pretty much loses any validity it may have had. The only purebred I know is my dog, and even there I only have his word for it.

Many people find value in identity politics as it has become a valuable means to gain advantage, although that advantage sometimes must be hidden as well. Mrs. Warren used her family lore to her advantage when she could, just as I'm certain Barack Obama did. At least she made an effort to publicly prove her small slice of heritage while Mr. Obama's school records (which undoubtedly show him to be a favored foreign student) remain sealed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Many people find value in identity politics as it has become a valuable means to gain advantage, although that advantage sometimes must be hidden as well. Mrs. Warren used her family lore to her advantage when she could, just as I'm certain Barack Obama did. At least she made an effort to publicly prove her small slice of heritage while Mr. Obama's school records (which undoubtedly show him to be a favored foreign student) remain sealed.
    If President Obama was a favored foreign student (how does one get that status with an American mother and a valid Hawaii birth certificate, one wonders), he certainly fulfilled his promise many times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I suspect some truth to that. Let's not leave out the image created by Donald of the self made successful business man. Although it looks more like his heritage, including possibly hundreds of millions of hidden gifts from Dad and evidence he was a millionaire by the age of eight may have helped (although his tax records remain sealed). Heritage beyond genetics. Marketing.

Yppej
    My dad's DNA test results are in and as I believed the stories of Native American heritage are false. Talking to relatives it turns out one ancestor was a captive in North Carolina, so maybe that is where the idea came from. But he is 100% European and to my surprise he is 12% Scandinavian, he thinks because Pommerania was at one time ruled by Sweden and because Normans who were part Norse conquered England. The pot started melting long before the family got to the New World.

I keep hearing that a couple of the DNA services don't report the native American ancestry. One of my cousins has used two and got the same results, minus the native American info on one of them.

I discovered in the recent update I had North African and West Asian relatives. Which fits with the family lore of Vikings Down The Volga.

Also, just passed my Norse a-levels so I can move back :-)

Thread Information