Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Warren and Indian heritage, checking off boxes

I'm apparently, from the DNA analysis, more North African than Warren is American Indian. And more Asian too.

And yet I'm about 100% Celtic/Scandinavian/Germanic.

For God's sake--Warren's family lore had it that her heritage included Native American ancestors. She's proved it, and if she were so inclined, she could probably narrow it down via research. It's likely that it's three or four generations removed, unless some Native American visited Europe to impregnate an ancestor farther back . Trump made her an object of derision, she pushed back. He told the world he would give a million to the charity of her choice; then, predictably, he reneged--as he has done on so many issues. He just loves denigrating women, doesn't he?

For the record, word was in my family that we had native ancestors (a romantic notion for most Americans, apparently), and DNA testing proves we absolutely do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I wonder what took so long to put this to rest? Now we know that she is somewhere between 1/32 and 1/1024 Native American, which does not meet the minimum requirements for enrollment in either of the Native American Nations from which she believes herself to be descended. I guess the law school directories from her academic days were a little less strict as they allowed her to list herself as a minority even though her DNA suggests she's something like 99% European.

Personally, I'd go with the official individual Native American Nation's guidelines since they are the authority on the subject. In my recent DNA test I discovered I'm <2% Scandinavian, but I'd be embarrassed to call myself a Viking.
    I'm apparently 3% Norwegian. That was a shocker!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's likely that it's three or four generations removed, unless some Native American visited Europe to impregnate an ancestor farther back

That must be the case then because it is reported to be six to ten generations removed.

For the record, word was in my family that we had native ancestors (a romantic notion for most Americans, apparently), and DNA testing proves we absolutely do not.

Same here. All my life we were told that my great grandfather was 50% Native American and yet DNA tests on myself and several first cousins show none.
    Interestingly enough, I just went to the AncestryDNA site and they updated my analysis based upon an increase in reference samples. My Scandinavian, Caucasus, Iberian Peninsula and European Jewish estimates have gone away. My total makeup is now:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 80%
    Increased by 13%

Ireland and Scotland 15%
    Increased by 4%

Germanic Europe 5%
    Refined from:
    Europe West 9%

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, Alan, both of the main two ancestry databases just got a bunch of new data dropped into them, which is when my previously-unknown North African and Asian data popped up.

The information seems to be getting more precise and interesting as they throw more raw data into the input side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yes, Alan, both of the main two ancestry databases just got a bunch of new data dropped into them, which is when my previously-unknown North African and Asian data popped up.

The information seems to be getting more precise and interesting as they throw more raw data into the input side of things.
    Apparently so! Good thing I never claimed that Viking thing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    My mother got less than 1% North African or Arab. It also came out of the blue.

She's not laying claim to tribal membership, she's just proving that she wasn't lying (or mistaken) when she said she had native heritage. It's clear she's nothing more than a convenient target.

Yppej
    Rachel Dolezal isn't black and Elizabeth Warren isn't Cherokee. Due to the one drop rule there is a lot of leeway in how people self-identify in the US, but there are limits. Listing herself as a minority in a directory was a mistake for Warren. But her mistakes are nothing compared to Trump's.

Thread Information