Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Second hand market

  1. #41
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    How long ago was this? Don't most people just hang the tv on the wall now. Or just need a big flat surface to set it on? People on Househunters routinely gripe when they walk into a home that was built back in the 90's and has a designed in tv space because the space isn't big enough for the size tv's most people today want.
    Thats why I didnt cut a hole in the back of my 130 year old Victorian walnut secretary. Today is it wide enought to hold my flat screen tv, but at a point n the future it will be too narrow, and the cut in the back would Be for nought.

    It is too bad, too because it would sit well in the perfect viewing space.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-8-17 at 11:49am.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,088
    I loved that trend because you could just shut the damn doors and not look at the tv sitting there.

  3. #43
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I loved that trend because you could just shut the damn doors and not look at the tv sitting there.
    I suppose it is eye blindness, but I am now accustomed to our smallish 32 inch TV sitting on a pretty mid Victorian chest of drawers. I like the juxtaposition of streamlined black electronics and rich wood. We dont have many black box acutremonts such as sound bars and etc, so it is just the tv and a slim dvd player there. It is not cluttered with electronic crap, and this is the happiest I have ever beem with tv display.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-9-17 at 9:12am.

  4. #44
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,807
    Today's TVs are pretty unobtrusive.
    So glad CRTs went the way of the dodo!

  5. #45
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,924
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Today's TVs are pretty unobtrusive.
    Some of them even look like art (Samsung "The Frame" TV).
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

  6. #46
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,096
    This whole thread reminds me of my first boyfriend when I was about two years out of college. He was very into all these grandmotherish dishes and clutter that all of you seem to be into. And even went into credit card debt for a big tv armoir thing that would probably not even hold a 32 inch flat panel tv, so would be totally useless in a home today. He managed to fill that armoire with about enough china to run a restaurant with seating for 400 people.

    When we first started dating it was long before I had inherited my mother's starburst pattern Franciscan dishes that I love so much and use everyday. At the time I was still using a random assortment of dishes that I'd used all through college. (in my mind they still held food and were therefore perfectly fine...) I reluctantly agreed to go with him to the Pfaltzgraf seconds store and purchase myself some legitimate dishes. We got there and after wandering around for 20 minutes I settled on a fairly plain style and we set about looking over the stacks of plates and bowls in that pattern to pick the individual pieces that were the least imperfect. Since I lived in a small studio apartment in manhattan I only wanted 4 plates, 4 little bowls and 4 bigger bowls. Fifteen minutes latter I was satisfied with what we'd picked out and ready to leave less than an hour after we'd arrived. Apparently he had anticipated an all day excursion to the Pfaltzgraf store where we could bond over staring at dishes. In hindsight I probably should have taken that as a sign of our incompatibility...

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    641
    Geila, I have that same Ikea dresser (different color) and I love it, too! Lightweight but solid wood, the drawers have full height sides, and roll sooo nicely!

    I advertised used, empty banker's boxes on NextDoor. The woman who came to get them this morning is the president of Friends of the Library! Apparently I got bad information from the library clerk. They ARE accepting books and she is staging them in her garage until sale time. She will be back Monday morning to pick up my boxes of books. How cool is that!

    She also gave me the name and number of a local school administrator, so I am hopeful that my children's books can be distributed through her.

    Plus I see that Amazon will buy 35mm film cameras, not for a lot, and its Amazon gift card, not cash, but I am seriously thinking about it.

    Finally, I don't use the china because it is heavy, and I hate the very formal pattern. My parents gave it to me for a wedding present; my mother bought what she thought I should have, not what I liked.
    (edited to add: I SO wish I had sold it 10 years ago when there was still a market for it!)

  8. #48
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,806
    We have a 19" TV that is one of the old thick ones and is still going strong. Those babies were built to last! I'll be sorry when it dies because I don't think newer TVs are designed to last 30 years.
    We never had china because we don't even have a dining room and we don't do formal entertaining. We have an eclectic mix of stuff I find attractive, including some old pieces from my grandmother's china set. This is our "primary" set of dishes. I'm a big fan of blue and white:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROYAL-STAFFO...kAAOSwImRYNym3

  9. #49
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Geila, I have that same Ikea dresser (different color) and I love it, too! Lightweight but solid wood, the drawers have full height sides, and roll sooo nicely!

    I advertised used, empty banker's boxes on NextDoor. The woman who came to get them this morning is the president of Friends of the Library! Apparently I got bad information from the library clerk. They ARE accepting books and she is staging them in her garage until sale time. She will be back Monday morning to pick up my boxes of books. How cool is that!

    She also gave me the name and number of a local school administrator, so I am hopeful that my children's books can be distributed through her.

    Plus I see that Amazon will buy 35mm film cameras, not for a lot, and its Amazon gift card, not cash, but I am seriously thinking about it.

    Finally, I don't use the china because it is heavy, and I hate the very formal pattern. My parents gave it to me for a wedding present; my mother bought what she thought I should have, not what I liked.
    (edited to add: I SO wish I had sold it 10 years ago when there was still a market for it!)
    Wow, great cooincidence in meeting up with the sorter and storer of library sale books. I just can't with that concept, in her own garage, dedicating that space, but good for her.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-9-17 at 10:08am.

  10. #50
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We have a 19" TV that is one of the old thick ones and is still going strong. Those babies were built to last! I'll be sorry when it dies because I don't think newer TVs are designed to last 30 years.
    We never had china because we don't even have a dining room and we don't do formal entertaining. We have an eclectic mix of stuff I find attractive, including some old pieces from my grandmother's china set. This is our "primary" set of dishes. I'm a big fan of blue and white:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROYAL-STAFFO...kAAOSwImRYNym3
    I love your main china pattern. Blue and white, always a winner with me, and floral botanicals is a big score.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •