Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listening, sigh

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ues, thats what I am doing.
    I had to chuckle at "standard communication devices." I SO would love to not have email, but with my job there is no way I can't have it. I do have a personal email address and dream of shutting that down, but then folks would just email my wife and she'd tell me what they said, and then I'd need to respond...so getting rid of it just complicates things:-)

Well, I am sure I occasionally annoy people because
    I dont carry a cell phone, but there are precious few instances where I need to be reached ASAP. The time lag of email, plus the clarity of it for conveying information, is key for me.

I have decided that I will not take a position in any more hobby groups unless all members have email and that is a requirement for membership.

the garden club groups I belong to are made up of women my age and older, and all of them read their email and conduct business that way. The energy in these garden club groups is amazing, and different from the plant socieities.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The time lag of email, plus the clarity of it for conveying information, is key for me.
    This one sentence tells me that you have not worked in corporate america, at least not recently. If I don't respond within a couple of hours to the majority of my work emails people start following up with phone calls, emails to other people in my department, etc. In an effort to be respectful to the worker grunts management at my mega corp employer have had hammered home to them the point that they should not send non-urgent email to their staff members during non-work hours. Pretty much everyone in the company has been given a work iphone so a lot of lower level staff were feeling the need to respond to non-urgent email over the weekend simply because it was something on the boss's mind at the moment. I don't have staff so I don't know the details of the communication effort regarding not sending non-essential email during off hours, but it must've been severe because nobody does it anymore. I can generally show up for work monday with nothing more than the generic deletable emails that corporate sends out 50x per day/7 days per week.

I agree with Tybee that there are just so many more ways of getting info out there that the receivers are overwhelmed. I've tried various ways of keeping on top of the important stuff and getting the rest out of my life without effort. THe results have been mixed. The problem I run into is that organizations like my bank want me to sign up for paperless credit card statements. But then they send a lot of marketing BS that I don't want, so I move them to another email address. But then I never check that email because it's "just bank crap" and then I miss the statement...

I find it impossible to strike the perfect balance for my team with their voiced concerns being "we aren't always kept informed" and "we are too busy to read your e-mails." I receive between 100 to 200 e-mails per day at work, along with a stream of instant messages. And I have a lot of stuff to do besides managing e-mails.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    This one sentence tells me that you have not worked in corporate america, at least not recently.
    No, I am retired and I dont expect anyone to answer emails instantly, or even the same day. But it sure is nice if they answer same day when we are working on a project together.

back when I worked, some people never answered at all.

I remember having one of those stupid summits on the state of the organization, what is it called? Oh yeah, a "retreat." Only we did not retreat away from the cityy, we just had a command attendance on a Saturday in a room, sitting around a table. This was probably 20 years ago. We were supposed to go around the table voicing a criticism of the organization and what we wanted to change. i said "answer my emails!"

At that same Come To Jesus meeting one of the senior administrators laid it out on the table saying "this is the most dishonest organization I have ever worked for. Everyone says "yes" but they mean "no."

Within 4 weeks he was gone. "Yes" meaning "No" answers continued, as did silence to my emails.
    To be fair, I worked much harder on crafting email message so tnat they were clear snd concise because I didnt want to be the one responsible for perceived gibberish as the reason to not answer. My boss was famous for not answering, and that may be the biggest relief I had when leaving employment. Dancing around her silences made me Crazy.

Thread Information