Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot Car Bill: Good Sense or Absurd?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I don't know who first said it, but one of my favorite sayings is that nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
    I was once sent to apologize to a customer for the death of their system admin, who died from our equipment.

He'd removed 3 different safety-interlock panels, all nicely marked, requiring tools and overrides. Then managed to bridge the main power busbar with his hand. BOOOMPHFFF!

I'm not sure what else we could have really done, this guy was bent on destruction - even if we'd put the gear into a bank vault, I suspect he'd have found a way.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I don't know who first said it, but one of my favorite sayings is that nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
    Douglas Adams, from Mostly Harmless
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    I was fortunate to read the quote, long before I experienced the reality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If we really think that saving every possible life matters we should just outlaw cars. After all, not only would we prevent 35 baked babies every year, we'd prevent 30,000 annual traffic fatalities. A double win!
    In general, I'll cheerfully hand out Darwin awards--to the survivors--but I have this thing for completely innocent victims, of which this is a case in point. Maybe after these airheads have to replace a few broken windows, they'll be sufficiently schooled in the matter.

Douglas Adams was one of my heroes!

It was on the news that when a baby died in a hot car a little boy came up with an idea to have an alarm that you could buy attach to a car seat. It would also start a fan blowing on the baby and make a loud sound. They have raised $ to make it happen and his Dad is an engineer which sounds better to me then putting them in cars.

There are already products on the market to indicate babies in back.

Why dont we pass legislatin that requires taxpayers to buy one for every new parent? Thats the ticket.
    Last edited by iris lily; 7-9-17 at 4:30pm.

Maybe some of you live in smarter areas, but it seems like there have been a fair number of deaths in the past couple of years in the city near here because of a parent leaving the child in a car. If we have a bell to tell us we left our lights on....why not a way of keeping a young child from dying a horrible death?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Maybe some of you live in smarter areas, but it seems like there have been a fair number of deaths in the past couple of years in the city near here because of a parent leaving the child in a car. If we have a bell to tell us we left our lights on....why not a way of keeping a young child from dying a horrible death?
    Because of the number of people who actually have young children at risk of being left in the car, versus the number of people who don't. It just doesn't seem practical. I like jp1 and Teacher Terry's idea to put the alarm on the car seat. That makes more sense to me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just looked up the numbers (from http://noheatstroke.org/ ). From 1998 through 7/2017, 718 children died from being left in vehicles. That's about 36 kids a year. The data set includes children through the age of 14, the majority of the deaths are in the age range 5 and under.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Because of the number of people who actually have young children at risk of being left in the car, versus the number of people who don't. It just doesn't seem practical. I like jp1 and Teacher Terry's idea to put the alarm on the car seat. That makes more sense to me.
    Sure, but the alarms dont just buy and mount themselves. We need A LAW that makes it mandatory. Because if it is a LAW everyone will abide, doncha know.

Thread Information