Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hot Car Bill: Good Sense or Absurd?

For other causes of death in children:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm

Detailed stats on pg 41 (Table 10):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    For other causes of death in children:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm

Detailed stats on pg 41 (Table 10):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf
    We probably have more children killed here in The 'Lou as accidental victims in gun homicides During gangland wars than we lose by heating up in cars. I wish gangland members would be outlawed from owing guns and shooting them at innocent citizens.

oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I was once sent to apologize to a customer for the death of their system admin, who died from our equipment.

He'd removed 3 different safety-interlock panels, all nicely marked, requiring tools and overrides. Then managed to bridge the main power busbar with his hand. BOOOMPHFFF!

I'm not sure what else we could have really done, this guy was bent on destruction - even if we'd put the gear into a bank vault, I suspect he'd have found a way.
    Our County Fleet Garage has a wide variety of signs and stickers warning the staff not to stand under moving dump bodies, not to drink transmission fluid, not to expect oxygen from particle filter masks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Our County Fleet Garage has a wide variety of signs and stickers warning the staff not to stand under moving dump bodies, not to drink transmission fluid, not to expect oxygen from particle filter masks, etc.
    hahaha... I'm sure legally you have to assume everyone just crawled out from under a rock. I remember laughing when I opened my new car manual and the first sentence was, "This car requires gasoline to operate." This was before alternatives to gas, so I really thought it was a strange thing to have to say, but they probably got people complaining that their car doesn't work after they went through the first tank of gas.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Some of those hot car deaths were deliberate. So you'd just be increasing " accidental" drownings or whatnot.

This thread reminds me of growing up and riding around in my Dad's Austin Healey sitting on what was basically where the convertible cover met the back of the car. We weren't in seats, we basically were on top of the car, with our feet dangling into the car.

Good times, but different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    This thread reminds me of growing up and riding around in my Dad's Austin Healey sitting on what was basically where the convertible cover met the back of the car. We weren't in seats, we basically were on top of the car, with our feet dangling into the car.

Good times, but different times.
    I know! Same here. I remember my toddler son sitting on the pull-down armrest in the front seat. Never occurred to me that he'd be a flying missile through the windshield if we hit something. Today I'd be thrown in jail.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It was on the news that when a baby died in a hot car a little boy came up with an idea to have an alarm that you could buy attach to a car seat. It would also start a fan blowing on the baby and make a loud sound. They have raised $ to make it happen and his Dad is an engineer which sounds better to me then putting them in cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    There are already products on the market to indicate babies in back.

Why dont we pass legislatin that requires taxpayers to buy one for every new parent? Thats the ticket.

Local police now have alarmed fans in their K9 units, after one failed and the dog died while the officer was inside a restaurant. Alarms fail, fans fail, are they going to outlaw failure/breakdowns?
    One of the useful products already out there (and mandated), is called a rear view mirror. People still don't use those.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    One of the useful products already out there (and mandated), is called a rear view mirror. People still don't use those.
    True, but in the case of the babies, when they're below a certain age they are in rear-facing car seats, so even if you look in your rear view mirror, the baby is most likely not visible to the driver. I like the dongle idea. But I do think it's a personal responsibility issue. I would not be in favor of a law mandating that all parents have one, based on the the low incidence of these types of events.

I remember taking a summer road trip up north with two of my small, elderly French bulldogs. It was 102 degrees Farenheit when we left. All I could think of is "if this car fails and strands me on the side of the road, these dogs are dead. I will be fine in this heat, but they will not be."

i really should have left them at home.

But the trip went fine, they were able to meet my cousin who loves Frenchies which was the reason they accompanied me, but in hindsight, that wasnt the smartest idea and it was taking a risk with them.

Thread Information