Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot Car Bill: Good Sense or Absurd?

If we must go down the road of trying to legislate away stupidity can we at least do it thoughtfully? I would imagine we could accomplish the same thing by requiring baby car seat manufacturers to put a sensor in the seat belt of the seat combined with a keychain dongle that is notified everytime the belt is buckled/unbuckled. If the dongle gets taken far enough to lose contact with the seat while the belt is still buckled it starts screaming "DON'T BE A BABY BAKER!!!" Or at least beeps annoyingly.

Far less kids are born each year than new cars sold making the effort less expensive and better targeted, not to mention that people who don't have small children are not saddled with additional cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    "But if it saves only one life!!!!", or so they always tell me.
    jp1 just wants babies to die, he doesn't care.

edited to add: smiley face

Today I got a message fom Facebook that says "We care about you..."
    and yet, somehow, I doubt the sincerity of that message.

I guess my point is that anyone or any entity ( the Zuckerberg empire cough cough) can offer empty words that appear supportive, but emoty doesnt accomplish anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If we must go down the road of trying to legislate away stupidity can we at least do it thoughtfully?
    RFID implants in newborns. Scanners everywhere child safety is a concern. You could even chip the parents, and have real time monitoring of children/parent/designated-caregiver proximity.

Oh, the fun things we can do to improve safety!

RFID implants in newborns. Scanners everywhere child safety is a concern. You could even chip the parents, and have real time monitoring of children/parent/designated-caregiver proximity.

Oh, the fun things we can do to improve safety!
    The dongle/carseat thing isn't a bad idea at all. Perhaps a dongle, collar, heat sensor for pets?

If we really think that saving every possible life matters we should just outlaw cars. After all, not only would we prevent 35 baked babies every year, we'd prevent 30,000 annual traffic fatalities. A double win!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If we really think that saving every possible life matters we should just outlaw cars. After all, not only would we prevent 35 baked babies every year, we'd prevent 30,000 annual traffic fatalities. A double win!
    Probably should require training and licensing for parents as well, with ongoing educational requirements and performance testing.

Yppej
    When I had my son I wanted to go home after 24 hours and they wanted me to stay another day because I was a first time mother and they wanted me to watch all sorts of parenting videos. After I told them my mom raised 3 kids and was two streets over they released me. While in there I was exhausted and when I did fall asleep they kept waking me up to take my vitals so I really wanted out. The human species survived just fine before their videos! Also I chose a hospital with rooming in but the nurses kept saying they knew more about taking care of the baby than me and finally whisked him off to the nursery. This is how babies get switched at birth. It was very patronizing to start out parenting that way, with the assumption that I was incompetent.

Probably should require training and licensing for parents as well, with ongoing educational requirements and performance testing.
    And if I'm at all typical, mandatory 24 hour surveillance of teenagers to prevent them from doing stupid things that could seriously harm themselves. (and i didn't drink yet, so I didn't even have to say "hold my beer, watch this!" before doing them.)

Those that forget and kill a kid, while they won't win a Darwin award, they are helping stop their genes from continuing.
    They could just mandate all cars to be convertibles and the tops must go down upon parking (and have indoor/outdoor materials due to weather).
    How does it work? Anyone ever carry something heavy in their car (big toolbox, groceries, etc) that would set off the sensor?
    There are a lot of things I have read/seen that make me like more basic vehicles. Ever been around a vehicle that they have to remove most of the electronics, due to dealing with explosives (and can't have any errant transmissions)?
    How about all these "keyless entry" cars, if your a surfer, who has to wear his car key?
    I saw a book today, that interested me (didn't get it though, other expenses), called the Revenge of Analog. This seems along those lines.

I don't know who first said it, but one of my favorite sayings is that nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.

Thread Information