Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Project Progress

For the first time in a long long time, both my house and my garden are clean and organized. I could host an indoor or an outdoor cocktail party tonight with one hour's notice!

Seldom do the heavens intersect in this way, usually it is only one or the other that is cleaned up.

In case we have overnight guests next week who are also garden buffs, I have to keep it this way for ten days.

even the dogs are sort-of clean! They need a bath, but their nails and ears ars in good shape. The cat is still shaved in her summer 'do. All here appear to be cAred for.

Damn, we are organized here. Tonight I will drink to that. BecUse, you know, it wont last. Sigh.

Yppej
    I'll have a glass of wine here on your behalf IL!

Yay Iris Lilies- enjoy the next 10 days!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    For the first time in a long long time, both my house and my garden are clean and organized. I could host an indoor or an outdoor cocktail party tonight with one hour's notice!

Seldom do the heavens intersect in this way, usually it is only one or the other that is cleaned up.

In case we have overnight guests next week who are also garden buffs, I have to keep it this way for ten days.

even the dogs are sort-of clean! They need a bath, but their nails and ears ars in good shape. The cat is still shaved in her summer 'do. All here appear to be cAred for.

Damn, we are organized here. Tonight I will drink to that. BecUse, you know, it wont last. Sigh.
    I feel the same way! With the double-whammy of DS bringing new GF one weekend, and DD bringing new BF the next weekend, what I didn't get done in the big push, I did in the week between DS and DD. My house looks great. And I have no work until my next project starts on August 2. I am in heaven right now with all the time in the world to spend with you guys, or on my kindle, or in my garden, or whatever.

I am determined to try to stay on top of it all this time. It was so nice last week to be able to prepare for DD/BF with only a few hours of cleaning, instead of a few days.

Clink, cheers, IL!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Perfect IL! Congrats on reaching that state and I hope you enjoyed your drink!

IMG_5153.jpg There was just a corner peaking through. This is how far I've cleared a 4th section of shelf rock. Tom dog was enjoying the dirt! I'll peagravel above the big rock my DH moved for me in that step up area. I was discussing with DH what sort of bench we should add there and I'll put in another bird bath. Started replanting a few things along the rock wall that I cleared of vinca. Will probably still fight vinca that comes up from roots. I'd like to take out these two old cedar trees but there are electrical lines to the house and shop right beside them (we can't have buried lines due to all our shelf rock. The one on the left was covered in poison ivy after 3 years of chemical warfare and cutting I think it's all dead. Or at least cut them tall - then have someone chainsaw them into something. I think it may be the perfect spot for a hammock. IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg Probably has too much glass in it right now but some will move as I finish other areas. I think I'll add a peagravel sitting area to the right and a few small bushes along the back top left side (need to be careful of the electric co easement behind, they come through every few years and cut down the redbuds and everything else in the 125 year old fence line. There is a patch of native cactus. Last year it had over 100 yellow blooms this year the oldest part of it got some sort of fungus of death. I need to find out if it can be saved or if I should dig it all up.
    Last edited by Float On; 7-24-17 at 1:06pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Geila
    Float - your last photo reminded me of that Shakespeare play that happens at night... I don't remember the name... but you know the one with all the fairies and lights in the garden. If you decide to put a hammock between the trees, send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a hammock I have. I received it as a gift and I've never used it and just don't have the space for it. My yard is too small. It's soft fabric so folds into a small package, is very pretty, I think it's from Mexico and has lots of pretty colors in it.

I'm doing okay on my own projects. I signed up for the gym and I'm really enjoying it. I've gone almost every day. The Kondo and deep cleaning of the house has made it really easy to keep it looking good with not much effort. I have not done much in the garage or yards since I've been focusing on the self-care. Swimming tires me out! I hadn't done it in years and I'm really out of shape. But hopefully that will start to change soon.

I'm starting to feel lazy seeing all the work Float is doing but I guess I'll just have to sit with it.

ETA: I think the hammock looks similar to this one:

Geila
    Self-care..... feeling like the challenge of avoiding, tolerating, discussing, etc... the unpleasant element on this forum is interfering with my self-care. I'm not interested in adding unpleasantness to my life - especially when it doesn't serve any purpose. I'm wondering if I would be better served seeking community elsewhere.

It sucks because I've really enjoyed this thread in particular. I like knowing that Float is over there in her own world working hard and that we can encourage each other along. Yeah, it sucks. It pisses me off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL, when (or do you) do you cutyour iris fronds in that fan shape? I have been doing that just to liberate some air flow for my roses.

Steve, what a list. It sounds exhausting and hot and all very necessary, but uh.

Am on my second garage box today. So far,not much discarded, just hung some pictures on the walls, including my zinnia painting by my great aunt. Now I want to reframe stuff. Also need to wash the fabric stuff was wrapped in. Everything sparks lots of joy, unfortunately.
    i didnt see your question earlier.

i dont cut iris leaves unless they are flopping over onto a sidewalk which happens for only 5% of my iris plants. If you do it for the health of roses, well ok, but thats not for the health of iris. Probably it doesnt hurt them all that much, though.

There is no physiological reason to trim iris leaves UNLESS you are transplanting them. Then, you trim leaves and Roots both. Big leaves cant be supported by trimmed roots in transplanted specimens.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've read through this thread and it's a little funny to me living in Phoenix, AZ as the summers are so intense here - these type of projects, especially if they involve work outdoors, get put off until the weather cools off a bit (typically the second or third week of October every year). Around that time a cold front will move down from the Northwest and the temp will plunge to 85F or less and the nights will get nice again, too, and then work like this seems doable once again. Every year around the middle of October I do boatloads of yard work...trimming and cutting that I'm just not going to do in this intense heat. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Float - your last photo reminded me of that Shakespeare play that happens at night... I don't remember the name... but you know the one with all the fairies and lights in the garden. If you decide to put a hammock between the trees, send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a hammock I have. I received it as a gift and I've never used it and just don't have the space for it. My yard is too small. It's soft fabric so folds into a small package, is very pretty, I think it's from Mexico and has lots of pretty colors in it.

I'm doing okay on my own projects. I signed up for the gym and I'm really enjoying it. I've gone almost every day. The Kondo and deep cleaning of the house has made it really easy to keep it looking good with not much effort. I have not done much in the garage or yards since I've been focusing on the self-care. Swimming tires me out! I hadn't done it in years and I'm really out of shape. But hopefully that will start to change soon.

I'm starting to feel lazy seeing all the work Float is doing but I guess I'll just have to sit with it.

ETA: I think the hammock looks similar to this one:
    Wow! That would be so kind of you Geila. Would you like a few glass orbs to toss around in your garden in trade? I have looked and so many trees in my yard and decided they were too close or too far apart and then I saw these from a different angle. I hit a 50% off sale at lowes....spent another $50 on small bushes and plants. I'm hoping I can keep them alive till fall. May need to plant in temporary spot until I can catch up. Yesterday I took myself to a movie in the evening (free since my son works at the theater) I just couldn't bear the idea of going home and working in the yard. I always get a heat rash.

I try to stay positive and avoid a lot of hot topics unless I can find something nice to say. I'm starting to find a lot of closed facebook groups that don't put up with much - a newer gardening group "backyard paradise", a hummingbird migration group, etc. I've enjoyed the life of this thread.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information