Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Summer Project Progress

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I was teaching my son to make margaritas before we hung it up on the trees (on the rocks not that fluffy icy fo-fo stuff) which may be why I was a little cautious!
    That looks so good. I just finished my workout, I'm hot and sweaty, and would love one of those right now. And look at that - no fancy glasses needed! I love those jars.

A cool morning today and the time to work on it so I cleared the spot by our air conditioner of the volunteer trees and all the twigs we'd deposited there over the last couple summers of lawn mowing. The tree trunks will dry a bit; the twigs went into our firepit and were dispatched pretty quickly. I also pulled out the weeds that were there and shooed away two gartner snakes which were not moving very quickly for the cool morning.

I still need to figure out how to finish that area esthetically. There is landscape fabric (did not know that) and river rock mulch (which matches the mulch near it) that I should go through to get rid of twig shards and creeping charlie. And I saw some lily-of-the-valley along the chain-link fence that I should either transplant it to someplace we could see it and smell it -- or eradicate it because the dog and kids could get into it. That might be a good place to replant our milkweed and just let it do what it wants. Shame we can't see it from inside the house, though.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    My next goal is to reduce my carb intake. My reward will be feeling better.
    Last edited by Geila; 8-9-17 at 6:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Good luck! Hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Thats a hard one! I love carbs. That was just a stock photo I pulled off google images but yes, love the reuse of jars. If I didn't have a bunch of glasses I had DH make over the years that is probably what I'd use. I've actually been saving jam and mason jars for the boys for their first adult apartments.

Yesterday I spent the entire day outside flitting from one thing to another and burned a bunch of really old falling apart firewood in my little metal outdoor fireplace, moved rocks, dug up vinca and ivy roots, hauled 4 wheelbarrel loads to my hillside beyond the studio. I was kind of hoping the smoke would scare away the black flies that seemed to be camping out. We're expecting rain today and it seems they always bite hard just before a rain. And then...I got out white christmas lights and wrapped 3 trees and a forsythia bush because I kept thinking that would look cool from the vantage point of the hammock (which I am taking very good care of/I bring it in every night). Photo from pinterest, it was too late when I thought to take a photo. lights.jpg So I've joined the lights up year round club I guess!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

these posts make me move a bit more..scrubbed the porch siding, the only place where wet and forget doesn't solve the problem as the porch is covered and screened in. It looks great! We are trying to clear out landscape timbers, putting them in the garbage a can at a time. The front porch rails and floor have been painted, now to work on painting the sheds....AND the groundhogs seem to have lost interest, but I need to put hardware cloth around the base of the one shed that is not a groundhog home to keep it NOT a home.

Geila
    Float - your stamina's impressive! I love the lights on the trees. I've been trying to convince dh that we should do outdoor lighting so we can enjoy our garden at night. He's weirdly resistant to the idea. He doesn't even like to have the porch light on.

nswef - glad to hear this thread is helping you! I think Float is the one who is moving us forward.

Carb reduction is hard for me too, so I'm doing it in phases. First I will limit the simple carbs to breakfast.

Last night I tried the cycling class and it was fun and a good workout. Good teacher, great music. But dang, that bike seat is hard on the behind. Today I tried U-Jam, I hadn't heard of it before. It's a dance workout, similar to zumba but with hip hop music. It was a lot of fun, lots of Bruno Mars, and I learned some new dance moves. At one point the teacher turned off the overhead lights and these other cool lights came on that made the place feel like a club. So fun!

I was a bit worried that I might feel out of place in the classes (lots of young people at this gym, not like what I was used to at the Y) but was happy to find them both very diverse. Lots of different ages and fitness levels. Today's U-Jam had lots of ladies in their late 60's and 70's and they all looked like they were having a blast.

Geila
    Yesterday I successfully limited simple carbs to breakfast. Later in the day I was very tempted by the fresh bagels I picked up at Costco but was able to resist. It helped that I stocked up on apples, salad greens and a fresh rotisserie chicken. I made salads for lunch and dinner. I also picked up eggs and sausage for breakfast. And this morning, instead of heading out to breakfast, I made it at home. The next item I will phase out will be the sugar in my coffee. I will replace with Splenda. I also picked up some cooked Portuguese linguica and broccoli for quick and tasty meals.

I've noticed the light starting to change. We have lots of trees so the light patterns are easy to observe. Last year the SAD symptoms hit pretty hard the last week of September. I don't want to worry unnecessarily, but I'm keeping the change in the back of my mind. The best precaution I can take is creating a solid schedule that will provide the most physical and mental/emotional resources for me to draw on once the symptoms begin.

It's been a busy and physically active week and I'm feeling lazy today. The big breakfast I just had probably has something to do with it too. But I had lots of coffee this morning so I need to work it off otherwise I won't be able to sleep well tonight. I'm going to post my to do list for today to provide a measure of accountability for myself.

To do Today:
    Walk - done
    Workout - done
    late Breakfast - done
    4 loads of laundry - 1 done
    Clean most of the house
    late Lunch
    Bathe poodle
    Clean bathrooms
    Pool and jacuzzi
    Last edited by Geila; 8-11-17 at 3:06pm.

I've been lazy in the garden project lately. Had to put off buying peagravel for 2 back yard areas because of needing new tires. Got too hot to clear off shelf rock. I did finish a tiny little area and transplanted iris/lily here along with a little bush. At the goodwill I found a small Easter Island Head for $1 which reminded me of the special we watched not long ago about how they moved those heads. I decided to splurge $1 and add it to the garden and see how long it would take the husband to notice it. Took him 9 days!

Capture.jpg
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Yppej
    The Easter Island head is cool. Our relative has left but now DS is preoccupied with back to school, so the mouseproofing insulation project is on hold indefinitely.

Thread Information