Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Project Progress

Geila

Summer Project Progress

I'm starting week 3 of my projects and I'm starting to run out of steam. Today was rough. I had such a hard time waking up and I'm still putzing about instead of working. I did a store run for groceries and supplies and that's about it. And it's already 10:05 am, my time.

I'm hoping tracking the progress will help keep me motivated. The goal is to do 6 hour sessions Monday through Friday. Saturday is odds and ends in the morning and fun in the afternoon. Sunday is rest.

Weeks 1 and 2 were great. Productive and satisfying. I'm on the tail end of project 1 and this is about the time when I start to lose interest. But I'm committed to finishing strong.

Ok... time to get started. Not time for nap! If I start now I'll be done by 4 pm. Pretty late start and finish. But doable and I'll still be done by dinnertime. And then several hours of relaxation before bed!

If you'd like to join in, feel free to write about your own summer projects.

I wanted to start a twin bed sized quilt for my someday guest bedroom.
    So far, have been gathering fabric, and last Thursday, washed it all to get ready to start cutting.

But here I sit, not doing a darned thing about it. I just hate to start anything right now, not sure why?
    Instead, I mowed the lawn, hung the laundry, did my day's worth of teaching, and am working on my stock portfolio.

I think I have too many catch up things to do, like my file project, that I don't have energy to start a new thing. I'd rather get out from under the mess. And new project = new mess.

I'm working on some landscaping projects this summer.
    1)So far I knocked out one bed above a curved short rock wall above a natural shelfrock patio right off my back porch, where the vinca took over and killed out all the pretty stuff and you couldn't even see the pretty rock wall I worked so hard on when we built this place in 92. I now hate vinca vine. I'm tossing all the vinca over the edge of the driveway where the glass shop was built as ground cover for the hillside. I don't care if the copper heads go over to that side of the yard but I'm tired of almost grabbing them when pulling vinca in the beds. Also trimmed the forsythia bushes there and will replant with pretty stuff this fall.
    2) Building a rock/glass dry streambed. This has been fun! Need to figure out how to get some hanging lights over in that area (solar) though there are trees. Still clearing out an area of that and need to move all the iris/lily somewhere else...maybe to 1, build a berm and replant some MO native things.
    3)Need to trim raspberry bushes out front and build better support fence for both raspberry and grape.
    4) Need to disassemble 2 raised beds (will possibly use some for berm in 2 will build up in 1 and add another layer or two of rock to the walls (I live on a rocky glade...an abundance of rock)
    5) Re-do firepit patio. Natural shelf rock patio with a short rock wall curving around it. Considering adding peagravel over the shelfrock patio because it's a bit unlevel. Need to build up another layer or two of rock on the wall and add something behind it (not vinca!
    6)Another invasive vinca killed flower bed over the short rock wall that wraps around the back corner of the house (house was build on shelf rock so there is a natural path that winds around the corner). Pull all vinca, replant (that use to be more of an english garden sort of flower bed but I'll go more MO native and glade/xeriscaping.
    7) continue to pull/kill off ivy that use to grow up side of house (north west side)
    8) walkway between shop and house: added hanging lights (to prevent stepping on snakes at night), needs to be re-rocked, and maybe a gate added at front to define the area (with a few pots of plants) and stepping stones in the rock fill to create something more than just (this is the way to the back door everyone uses).
    9) add wood floating deck between back porch and shop/garage door. Currently it's just rock in a sand/cement base that has washed out from erosion and flooding rains. Tripping hazard currently.
    10) front of house 3 beds and walkway all need redone. That'll probably have to wait for 2018 but it's in my plan book.
    11) improve frog pond bank and planting probably in 2018 also in plan book.
    12) redo veggie garden raised beds (add fence, rock base for paths, etc) 2019.

I'm lighting a bunch of citronella candles in the back yard and working from 8-9 pm every night when it's just a tad cooler but the biting bugs are out. Fireflys are fun to watch but I dislike the chiggers and mosquitos.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Just want to say, Float, your back yard sounds lovely, really enchanting. Post pictures?

Yppej
    I wanted to go hiking at two new places and have. My weight loss resolution on other hand....

I wanted to get our garage cleaned out and organized. Thanks to my DD's DF, the first part is done. He didn't want Mom and/or I doing it with the heat the way it is. Now that it has all the trash and junk out o there, I can work on getting it organized whenever I have a chance.

Went into garage to fill up a garbage bag and realized that I should be going through one box a day, and throwing away what I can.
    So that is my new summer project. It will also yield the 10 things a day I want to get rid of.

Too many projects to count. I'm not sure listing them publicly would provide the accountability needed to get them done (or even make significant dents in them all) but here goes.

• I bought the stuff needed to seal the concrete patio. But between finding decent weather to clean the patio and then a couple of rain-free days to apply the coating and let it dry, well, that hasn't happened yet. There's also the complication that it'll be hard to disable access to the back of the house for a couple of days during that time.
    • I need to replace some of the wood around the frame of the garage door. While I'm painting the new wood, I might as well paint the garage window and a couple of the old windows on the house that need to live on for a few more years while that replacement project continues.
    • I finally landed that compost bin I was looking for (well, not quite what I was looking for but I have to do something with that and this at least wasn't a lot of money for something I didn't want). So now to find a way to recycle the old bin (if possible) and transfer the remaining composting into the new bin.
    • There are a couple of areas on the sides of the house that need to be cleaned up -- too many weeds and volunteer trees; not enough mulch or "direction" (what should it look like?). That has to be a cooler-weather project (that is, 80 is already too hot).
    • Time to clean out the garage. Been holding stuff in there for too many people for too long. They either want it enough to find another home for it or it hits craigslist or the thrift store or the curb ("Free!"). The stuff that has to be disposed of specifically goes to a city-wide cleanup in September; I volunteered to help direct traffic/unload stuff/whatever so (ObFrugal) I get to dump our stuff for free. Having a deadline helps.

Umm, I think that's it. That's plenty. I could power-wash and seal my mom's driveway and her deck. That really should get wedged into the calendar somewhere. But put too many things on the list and it's just defeating...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My summer project is to address weeds, and keep lilies and iris weeded, fed, and cultivated to improve bloom for next year. This year iris bloom was not great, and there were some serious lilies diseases and problems.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My summer project is to address weeds, and keep lilies and iris weeded, fed, and cultivated to improve bloom for next year. This year iris bloom was not great, and there were some serious lilies diseases and problems.
    IL, when (or do you) do you cutyour iris fronds in that fan shape? I have been doing that just to liberate some air flow for my roses.

Steve, what a list. It sounds exhausting and hot and all very necessary, but uh.

Am on my second garage box today. So far,not much discarded, just hung some pictures on the walls, including my zinnia painting by my great aunt. Now I want to reframe stuff. Also need to wash the fabric stuff was wrapped in. Everything sparks lots of joy, unfortunately.

Thread Information