Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Project Progress

Beautiful dry bed, Float On! Kind of gives me ideas... Maybe it will give our neighbors ideas, too. They've been working on transforming their standard city lot backyard into an "oasis" with the ultimate goal of zero grass. I might mention the idea (and show them your picture if it's OK with you).

The weather today was wonderfully cool! I started early this morning on the compost bin and largely finished the project a few hours later. Largely, because I had to go buy grass seed to overseed the bare patches (what we had was gobbled up by unwelcome diners), and to figure out what to do with the old bin (which, thoughtfully, was made of 100% recycled plastic but does not appear to have a single recycling symbol or number on any part). Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer to find out if it is recyclable plastic or if it now (ironically) gets to grace a landfill somewhere.

One project down. The weekend weather is supposed to be back up in the high-80s/low-90s and humid. Watering the grass seed will be the limit of outdoor activities those days.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Oh, I'm so tired. I finished the hall closet and gave my house a thorough cleaning, including a good old-fashioned mopping. Four and a half hours of sweaty mindless work and it felt great. I even took out two big area rugs to enjoy the beautiful clean hardwood flooring throughout the house. I'm thinking of just keeping them out for the rest of the summer. The house looks really nice with all the gleaming floors.

Will probably take the weekend off and just do a few minor things.

Congrats to my fellow workers! I hope you're enjoying the nice feeling of accomplishment that comes with getting some real work done on those projects.

Geila
    Ok, new week. It's 7:30 a.m., and time to start the day. The most pressing project is the garage. It's become cluttered with lots of stuff, including some furniture, and is in real need of work. I keep putting it on my list but failing to actually get to it. A second project is outdoors and includes digging up some plants and potting them as well as repotting others and starting some cuttings.

This weekend we had a mini heat wave and we don't have A/C so it tired me out.

I also have some cooking to do and a bit of laundry, mainly the blankets that we use on the couch for the dogs. And the dog towels.

A good strategy would be to do a little bit of each. Maybe something like this....

Today's goals:
    Cook beef and rice
    laundry - doggie blankets and towels
    Garden - 3 hours of work
    Garage - 3 hours of work

Three hours in the garage seems unrealistic, but I'll aim high and see where I end up.

Into the 90s and sticky again here, so no progress for me....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Into the 90s and sticky again here, so no progress for me....
    Sorry to hear that Steve! Hot muggy weather is the worst. You have no choice but to relax and stay as comfortable as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Beautiful dry bed, Float On! Kind of gives me ideas... Maybe it will give our neighbors ideas, too. They've been working on transforming their standard city lot backyard into an "oasis" with the ultimate goal of zero grass. I might mention the idea (and show them your picture if it's OK with you).

The weather today was wonderfully cool! I started early this morning on the compost bin and largely finished the project a few hours later. Largely, because I had to go buy grass seed to overseed the bare patches (what we had was gobbled up by unwelcome diners), and to figure out what to do with the old bin (which, thoughtfully, was made of 100% recycled plastic but does not appear to have a single recycling symbol or number on any part). Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer to find out if it is recyclable plastic or if it now (ironically) gets to grace a landfill somewhere.

One project down. The weekend weather is supposed to be back up in the high-80s/low-90s and humid. Watering the grass seed will be the limit of outdoor activities those days.
    Of course that's ok....I came up with the idea then looked around on pinterest and saw a few good ideas. I've added a couple of little water pools with rocks for butterflys and bees and anything else that once to come along. I did get the iris and lily dug up another 5 gallon bucket worth beside the drybed so now we're talking about adding another dry channel and an island of perennials/grasses I got for the $1 sale at Lowes this week. That's what I love about gardens...always changing always adapting. I did order a small solar fountain to add to one of the water pools to add a little bubbly noise during sunny hours (it doesn't store battery power like the yard lights do so it only works when sunny).

I'm still dreading starting on the big wrap around the corner rock wall of vinca so I started a new compost area (3 pallets) since I'd filled the other one and tripped over a rock that my husband has complained about so I dug it up. About 3x3" was showing above ground and I dug down 8" under to pull it up. Then started on another little rock that was showing 3x5" above...it ended up being 44"x19"x4". I had to stop after I got it slanted on the shovel because I pulled something in the back. Spent all day yesterday taking care of the back and I'm ready to start again tonight. This yard just keeps on giving...rocks! 25 years and I'm still finding big ones. Oh, and I also started clearing off another area of shelf rock. The intent is to expose as much shelf rock in the back yard as possible and plant native glade plants.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Ok, new week. It's 7:30 a.m., and time to start the day. The most pressing project is the garage. It's become cluttered with lots of stuff, including some furniture, and is in real need of work. I keep putting it on my list but failing to actually get to it. A second project is outdoors and includes digging up some plants and potting them as well as repotting others and starting some cuttings.

This weekend we had a mini heat wave and we don't have A/C so it tired me out.

I also have some cooking to do and a bit of laundry, mainly the blankets that we use on the couch for the dogs. And the dog towels.

A good strategy would be to do a little bit of each. Maybe something like this....

Today's goals:
    Cook beef and rice
    laundry - doggie blankets and towels
    Garden - 3 hours of work
    Garage - 3 hours of work

Three hours in the garage seems unrealistic, but I'll aim high and see where I end up.
    Good luck with your garage project, especially in the heat, that is on our fall list.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    That's beautiful Float! Thanks for sharing. I love the glass balls on the riverbed. And you're right, that's a lot of vinca!

I must be blind. I don't see the cat.
    There is a sunbeam on her (my phone camera isn't great) she is straight in front of the wheelbarrel tucked into the dirt behind the rock wall in the 2nd photo...watching me with a wary eye.

I have a big free standing jewelry case and rarely wear most of it. So I went through it for some to be sold for gold and silver, some to keep and the rest I am donating to a thrift store. My friend came for dinner last night and took what she wanted for her daughters and herself.

Yppej
    It is too hot to do much, so I tried amaretto, which I've been wanting to do. I like it.

Thread Information