Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Project Progress

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I've read through this thread and it's a little funny to me living in Phoenix, AZ as the summers are so intense here - these type of projects, especially if they involve work outdoors, get put off until the weather cools off a bit (typically the second or third week of October every year). Around that time a cold front will move down from the Northwest and the temp will plunge to 85F or less and the nights will get nice again, too, and then work like this seems doable once again. Every year around the middle of October I do boatloads of yard work...trimming and cutting that I'm just not going to do in this intense heat. Rob
    I hear you Rob. I'm kind of forcing my way through my list working really early 5:30-7:00 a.m. or the last hour before dark 8-9 p.m. right now. If I went outside right now at 2 p.m. you'd probably never hear from me again - she died of heat stroke or heat exhaustion. I get a bit depressed when spring plantings dry up and I'm trying to avoid that by changing my own gardening from old fashioned to more arid style (more like what you are used to).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Geila
    Float - have you ever tried Nandina? Common name is Heavenly Bamboo. It's not a true bamboo but a shrub that looks a little bit like bamboo. Anyway, I could totally see that fitting in nicely in your place. It evergreen, gets red berries and red foliage in late winter/early spring, is drought tolerant, and birds like it. And it spreads very slowly so you get free plants every year. They are also easy to transplant so you can spread them around. But it's not invasive!

Oh, Midsummer Night's Dream! That's the play. I've seen it twice and it was performed outdoors both times.

I would happily accept any orb that you wanted to send me. But don't feel obligated to do so. I've had the hammock for 10 yrs and never used it. I also have a hammock chair (was also a gift). The thing is that I put it out as a decoration last year and left over the rainy season so it doesn't look brand new anymore. It looks like this, well this is the design, it doesn't look as perfect anymore (if you're interested I can send it as well):

nandina:

Midsummer Night's Dream:

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Float - have you ever tried Nandina? Common name is Heavenly Bamboo. It's not a true bamboo but a shrub that looks a little bit like bamboo. Anyway, I could totally see that fitting in nicely in your place. It evergreen, gets red berries and red foliage in late winter/early spring, is drought tolerant, and birds like it. And it spreads very slowly so you get free plants every year. They are also easy to transplant so you can spread them around.

Oh, Midsummer Night's Dream! That's the play. I've seen it twice and it was performed outdoors both times.

I would happily accept any orb that you wanted to send me. But don't feel obligated to do so. I've had the hammock for 10 yrs and never used it. I also have a hammock chair (was also a gift). The thing is that I put it out as a decoration last year and left over the rainy season so it doesn't look brand new anymore. It looks like this, well this is the design, it doesn't look as perfect anymore (if you're interested I can send it as well):

nandina:

Midsummer Night's Dream:
    Nice! I remember Heavenly Bamboo from my five years in Portland, OR! I miss it, too. Another plant I very much miss from my days in Portland is Photinia ( think that's how it's spelled?) It's young leaves and a nice dark red which contrasts well with some other plants that do well in the PNW. Rob

Geila
    Yes, Photinia is very pretty. My climate is a little too dry and hot for Japanese Maples but I've been babying some along and I finally have a small tree, maybe 10' tall and it's just so beautiful. I think I would love living in Portland or any other Oregon town. I once visited one of their southern towns and I just remember how clean and fresh their air was! We have a pretty Japanese Garden here in town but I'm sure it's not the same. This is my little Japanese baby:

I am feeling beyond virtuous! The weather broke, humidity is lower so I cleared, weeded several flower beds and because my darling, industrious husband finished fixing a porch railing so I painted it and the thresholds and the windowsills that were in dire need of paint. So it has been a productive day.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Yes, Photinia is very pretty. My climate is a little too dry and hot for Japanese Maples but I've been babying some along and I finally have a small tree, maybe 10' tall and it's just so beautiful. I think I would love living in Portland or any other Oregon town. I once visited one of their southern towns and I just remember how clean and fresh their air was! We have a pretty Japanese Garden here in town but I'm sure it's not the same. This is my little Japanese baby:
    Nice! I miss Japanese Maples, too, and those cherry, or was it plum trees that many grow by their sidewalks in Portland.....and the air is so clean and fresh their a good chunk of the year due to the rain.....I do miss it a great deal but here I am and there are many unique plants that grow here that won't grow in Portland, you know? Rob

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I am feeling beyond virtuous! The weather broke, humidity is lower so I cleared, weeded several flower beds and because my darling, industrious husband finished fixing a porch railing so I painted it and the thresholds and the windowsills that were in dire need of paint. So it has been a productive day.
    Congrats nswef! That is indeed a productive day. I need to get out there and be productive myself. Enjoy your virtuosity!!! You've earned it.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Nice! I miss Japanese Maples, too, and those cherry, or was it plum trees that many grow by their sidewalks in Portland.....and the air is so clean and fresh their a good chunk of the year due to the rain.....I do miss it a great deal but here I am and there are many unique plants that grow here that won't grow in Portland, you know? Rob
    Okay, last post before I head outdoors and attempt some productivity! DH and I visited your part of the world some years ago. I think it was Tuczon... Anyway DH has a work thing and they put us up in some swanky hotel with a pool and fabulous desert views. It was early May so I spent the whole day at the pool swimming and ordering drinks and snacks. The evenings were amazing! We would go into town and have dinner and every one was out. So different than here. We had so much fun. Then one day, we decided to go out in the middle of the day to some botanical gardens, I don't remember the name. Oh my lord. We get there and the sun is HOT and there is NO shade. Okay, maybe a little shade but not nearly dense enough for the sun and heat. Here in the SF Bay Area, May is usually still very cool. So we had no clue. Anyway, we scurried around from tree to tree trying to find some shade and then as quickly as we could, we hightailed it out of there and ran back to the hotel and the pool. That was our first and last daytime excursion. We were there for 5 days but learned our lesson quickly. I do still remember how awesome the evenings were though. Going out at night in shorts and tank top or little sundress makes you feels so young and carefree. And sexy!

Geila
    Float - I just looked at the hammock chair and I'm going to wash it and dry it. Then I will take some close-up photos and post them here in a couple of days, that way can see if you want it. And don't feel bad if you don't want it. If it's not something you think you'll use, I'll probably just donate it to GW.

ETA: In washing this, I see that there is quite a bit of mildew throughout the fabric of the seat and on the loop that would be used to hang the chair. The fabric is cotton and I'm worried that it would not hold safely for use. Even if I remove the mildew with bleach, the integrity of the unit is compromised (and maybe even further compromised with the bleach). So it is probably not a good idea to give or donate it. I'm going to just throw it out. But I will send you the other hammock, which is in excellent shape.
    Last edited by Geila; 7-25-17 at 6:12pm.

I'm not sure I'm familiar with that shrub but I love anything that goes red in the fall. I'm looking for what I want to replace in the beds in front of my house and that would be beautiful in front of the dark brown. Bonus that birds like it.
    Too bad on the hammock chair but thanks for being cautious. Looking forward to the hammock.
    Our heat wave broke yesterday but my schedule is packed. I may not make it out to the gardens till Saturday morning and I was really hoping to get a lot done before my husband comes back from SC.
    I love Japanese Maples so pretty and yours is beautiful!
    Last edited by Float On; 7-28-17 at 9:15am.

Thread Information