Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: And Now For Some Good News.....

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,425
    I don't think anyone with any degree of sanity viewed a single lunatic acting out as a harbinger of revolution. Nor do I think many professional politicians are all that intimidated by crowds of shrieking people.

  2. #12
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Nor do I think many professional politicians are all that intimidated by crowds of shrieking people.
    Except rob portman and then only if the shreiking people are in wheelchairs.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    beyond the pale
    Posts
    2,147
    Politicians may not be intimidated, but they do pay attention. I remember years ago attending a talk by a local politician. He had just recently left office but he gave us some idea of how politicians are influenced. He said that you would not believe how much it influences them if, say, 20 people who are all wearing the same color t-shirt (or similar easily identifiable look) attend in person to e.g., a city council meeting to press in favor of/or against the topic at hand.

    Politicians are also human and when they exit these kinds of interactions they will remember those who showed up as a group and what their point was, because everyone knows that the citizens who show up in person represent many many more who were home but are of the same persuasion.

  4. #14
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Politicians are also human and when they exit these kinds of interactions they will remember those who showed up as a group and what their point was, because everyone knows that the citizens who show up in person represent many many more who were home but are of the same persuasion.
    Tricky business though.

    The same small group of "sovereign citizens" shows up at meetings of a local governmental body I serve on, generally to point out that they don't consent to, well, society. Yes, we *do* take note of them. And act accordingly :-) Talking with local law enforcement, they don't represent a larger group, they pretty much are the entire county's population of such interesting individuals...

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    beyond the pale
    Posts
    2,147
    Yes, agree about the small hardcore groups who attend everything. Their views get glossed over when it becomes apparent they are there simply to complain.

    The core groups who do get attention are the ones who can demonstrate that they will bring other voters with them at election time. That's what's going to make 2018 elections so interesting.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Tricky business though.

    The same small group of "sovereign citizens" shows up at meetings of a local governmental body I serve on, generally to point out that they don't consent to, well, society. Yes, we *do* take note of them. And act accordingly :-) Talking with local law enforcement, they don't represent a larger group, they pretty much are the entire county's population of such interesting individuals...
    We have some of those here. A few have taken to filing liens against officials' property, which can be a pain to straighten out. There have been some prosecutions for "slander of title".

    Generally, I've found people who show up at public hearings (excluding a few habitual eccentrics and eternal NIMBYs) can influence decisions.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,088
    How do people file liens against officials' property--on what grounds?

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    How do people file liens against officials' property--on what grounds?
    The grounds can be as frivolous as a damaged mind can make them. If you believe that taxation is theft, you might file a lien against your County Treasurer for damages due to theft or extortion. In our state, anyone with a filing fee and time on their hands can file any fool thing they want. You can get them removed from your title, but until you do it can affect your credit and ability to sell your property. It's basically a form of harassment similar to a frivolous lawsuit. Slandering title that way is a crime, but it takes time and resources to deal with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •