Thread: Tips on Beating Procrastination

Tips on Beating Procrastination

I liked these.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/s...g-promo-region

Anybody have more?

When I feel that I am procrastinating too much, I make a list of all the items that I would be glad to have done - small ones, big ones, etc.
    When individual items get done, I scratch them out. I find that very satisfying and it gives me a sense of direction for each day when I have half an hour or less to do something.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Ditto to Razz...

If I don't make a list, I forget about it and it won't get done. Even the most minute goes on the list. I can't believe what a difference it makes.

I love that Pomodoro technique in the article! It ties in nicely with my timer app that I already use, but my segments are 45 minutes. I can see how 25 minute segments can be much better. I often tell myself that it's not worth it to get started on something if I only have 25 minutes, so the 25-minute technique really turns that around for me.

I've also heard one way to keep procrastination at bay is by setting up your desk before you go to bed and just doing one action. In other words, if I'm dreading doing an expense report, I'd open up my computer to the expense report form, and take out my receipts before I go to bed.

Another technique I use is repeating the mantra of one of my project managers who was incredibly productive. She always used to say, "Push it forward! Push it forward!" So, rather than saying, "OK, I'll think about it later," she would push me to just take one or two small actions on it. If I were to get a tattoo like the woman in the article mine would say "Push it Forward!"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

As crazy as I am for tomatoes, it was the toad analogy that really resonated with me!

When you feel the urge to procrastinate, put it off as long as possible. Then by the time you get around to procrastinating you'll certainly have gotten a lot done!

Reminder to read this later.

Thread Information