Thread: Kondo-ing books

Kondo-ing books

I just have to share! I mentioned on another thread that I have way too many books, decided to try "sparks joy?" Watched a couple of youtubes where people reported on their experience using Kondo method with books... then got all the boxes and stacks into one place, opened the boxes, estimated the total at about 22 bankers boxes
    full.

Right off the top, 2 boxes were actually gardening magazines, dumped those in the recycling bin-- hey, I use Pinterest for finding and saving ideas now.

Then went through the next 6 boxes in about 15 minutes, picking up each book. It was amazing to experience the feelings the books evoked- everything from Joy to Dread, and a lot of Responsibility in between. Those ended up being pretty evenly divided between Keep, Trash, Library donation, used bookstore sale. Took a quick break for water!

I got right back to it because I was motivated with my success thus far. The next 10 boxes took about 40 minutes. Then I had the last 4 boxes of children's books that I brought from school... and I was motivated to added them to the Library stack. (later on, I saw that the library lady had messaged me about the same time that she went ahead and contacted the school person for me today- and said she wanted those books. I spent about 20 minutes removing my name from them, and pulled out 4 books that Sparked Joy when I touched them.

The final count was 3 boxes full to trash, 2 to sell, 10 for the library, and 7 to keep. I arranged the Keep books on my shelves, and everything fits!
    Then I stacked the empty boxes for the Library lady. All in all, this was about 4 hours, including watching the 2 videos, break, sorting and shelving.

I am so impressed and pleased! Anybody else have an experience to share?

I am doing a first pass thru my library of quilting/craft books and patterns. Have a huge pile for our quilt show booth, a pile of former library books for the library, books for a giveaway at a retreat and several piles for others.

Feels good. Cleaned off two shelves. One set of reading books, I am going to see if i want to reread them and donate as I finish.

Books are sure heavy.

I think I will do this today with one big bookcase only, the farming/gardening/animal care section. I will report back.

Yes, I've done the book purge, and it was GREAT. Got rid of over 200 books.

I fold my clothes in the little rectangles and I really like that, too.

I have to do a clothes purge, but it's hard because I have to get DH to buy into it and also I have tons of clothes that were my kids'. I need to also get their permission to just give them away. That would make a HUGE dent my clutter. I'm not a big clothes horse myself--rarely buy clothes and have no problem getting rid of them when I haven't worn something in a while. I have a "uniform" of yoga pants and t-shirt and about a week's worth of nice outfits for work.

I'm thinking of selling my mother-of-the-groom gown somehow. Any suggestions? It's a beautiful Tadashi Shoji lace dress. I love it, but I definitely am not going to wear it again. I know there are special evening wear websites that I could post it on. Anybody use any?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, I've done the book purge, and it was GREAT. Got rid of over 200 books.

I fold my clothes in the little rectangles and I really like that, too.

I have to do a clothes purge, but it's hard because I have to get DH to buy into it and also I have tons of clothes that were my kids'. I need to also get their permission to just give them away. That would make a HUGE dent my clutter. I'm not a big clothes horse myself--rarely buy clothes and have no problem getting rid of them when I haven't worn something in a while. I have a "uniform" of yoga pants and t-shirt and about a week's worth of nice outfits for work.

I'm thinking of selling my mother-of-the-groom gown somehow. Any suggestions? It's a beautiful Tadashi Shoji lace dress. I love it, but I definitely am not going to wear it again. I know there are special evening wear websites that I could post it on. Anybody use any?
    No, but I have bought used clothing of this type on ebay and now it is my go to when I need a mother-of-the groom or wedding guest type outfit. Maybe try selling it there?

As to kids clothes-- I'd invite them all to a brunch to take back their clothing--one day only sort of thing, and then give the rest away. I would not store them for them anymore, since you are trying to streamline your house.

(Says the woman with all the year books going back to third grade. . . )

Thread Information