Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July Purge

July Purge

I have tried for several years now to reach a goal of getting rid of 1,200 things in a year (100 a month), but I've never quite made it. The closest I've gotten is around 750.

But I'm not giving up! So the count continues.

I'm only at 218, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

This weekend my daughter and I gave four items from her closet to a younger friend, so that's my total so far this month: 4.

It would be a fun challenge, a hundred a month. Maybe I will try. . .

You guys have more patience then me by counting. I just wait until I have a car full of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You guys have more patience then me by counting. I just wait until I have a car full of stuff.
    I am actually going to have to return to counting. I just tried to Kondoize the farm/garden books and only was able to get rid of a few. Of course, I tell myself, that is 12 books I would not have gotten rid of otherwise, and a movie that I decided to watch while Kondoizing the books and rapidly lost patience with, and then five jars of seeds that have been in too-hot of a storage place and are from a couple of years ago, anyway, and probably crossed, anyway.

So I am going to go to getting rid of ten things a day. I can't seem to dothe Kondo thing with the same kind of results as others.

But I was successful 10 years ago using the counting method, so back to counting.

I wonder if I even have 1200 things? I never said I only had 100 things or some extreme minimalist version, but I am kind of wondering what would be left at that point of donating 1200 things (a bit more if counting every documents gotten rid of as 1 thing I guess), like whether I'd have to become a nudist at that point or something equally drastic.
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm paying more attention to how more stuff translates to more effort with housework, so I keep trying to slowly & methodically cull as I go along. I donated 2 books to the library today. I walk there and back, so I just take one or two at a time.

Roa: I have noticed that since decluttering how much faster it is to clean when I only have a few items to dust versus a bunch of stuff. It certainly makes a difference and it makes it easier to get myself to clean because it won't be such an ordeal.

Yppej
    ANM I am like you, and would have to get rid of a lot of paper to get to that number.

Oh, ApatheticNoMore, I envy your thought that you might not even have 1,200 things. I have no doubt that I actually have 1,200 EXPENDABLE things. So far to go!

I took 10 items to Goodwill, sold 9 books to a used bookstore, donated another 23 books to the public library. New total for month: 46.

Out to this week's garbage run: 1 hideous lampshade that has been on my lamp since I could not find a suitable replacement. Decided to get rid of it and go with the too small one I bought.
    1 busted up 5 gallon pail my husband grabbed from side of road. He will never know it is gone.

Off to Goodwill: 2 movies, 12 books, a jacket, and a window candle.

Off to the birds: 6 mason jars worth of seeds that have gotten too hot where they are, and probably wouldn't grow true, anyway.

On the other hand, back into the stream of what we are using:
    long lost sleeping bag
    long lost zinnia picture painted by my aunt in 1930 something.
    kid's baby picture album, which was inexplicably out in the shed
    a box of thread

It is easier to do this when my husband is out of town.

Thread Information