Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July Purge

And congratulations to all of you on all the progress you're making!

My nephew and his 2 boys were here for a quick visit from out of state. Michael, age 14, is a terrific rock guitarist and loves the old stuff. He recently was gifted a turntable from Dad and 2 weeks ago designed and built himself a 'stereo stand' as we called them long ago. i pointed him to my album collection of all things 70s. He selected 6 that were "my favorites". I told him he could have them. The look on his face was priceless and "I don't know what to say" was all he could say. I know he will appreciate them and care for them so it was a joy to gift them to him. Bye bye BTO, Aerosmith, Eagles, Foghat....enjoy your new life. 6 albums in all and my Beatles anthology-a 4 CD set.

Gardnr, he will always remember you and this very special present.

I decluttered my jewelry box today. It is large and free standing. I have a good friend coming for dinner tonight so will let her take what she wants for herself and 2 daughters. Then the rest to Goodwill. This is costume jewelry as I sell any gold or silver I am tired of. I used to love jewelry but don't wear much at all anymore since semi-retiring.

I took 25 more items to Goodwill today. New total for month: 150.

Returned three pieces of clothing I bought, gave away two puzzles, a mobile, and a box of plug protectors. New total for month: 157.

I got rid of a bunch of stuff last year and thought I was in pretty good shape. However, I've plugged into the Minimalist movement and have decided that a retirement goal is to move out of our 1600 sq split level home in the next 5 years to a smaller space (tbd). As such, I keep thinking of all the stuff I don't want to move and am ready to for another ruthless declutter round. Not sure if I want to bother trying sell stuff or just donate (probably what will happen). Like Teacher Terry, I'm going to go through my jewelry. Have also decided to donate my mom's wedding dress (mine is long gone). It's a pretty silk knee length 50's style, but not doing anyone any good hanging in my closet. My daughter and niece have no interest and it wouldn't fit them anyway.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

In the last 10 years I have gone through my things many times. A few years back wedding dresses, etc went. I made $ selling my broken gold and silver or items where I only had one earring left. I am really careful now about bringing anything in unless I am thrilled with it and then something like has to go out. I don't miss anything I have gotten rid of through the years. It depends on my mood if I decide to sell or not and also how easy it will be to get rid of. If I can put an ad on CL's and sell an old washer cheap I do that. If I have to list on ebay then no. WE also have a fairly busy street we live on so I can put a free sign on stuff in front and it is gone in hours usually.

Yppej
    I got to work early and organized the glove compartment. Pre-tidying I thought I would need to buy pens soon but I found 10 in the car today and another 10 or so in a drawer earlier in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I got to work early and organized the glove compartment. Pre-tidying I thought I would need to buy pens soon but I found 10 in the car today and another 10 or so in a drawer earlier in the week.
    I love this part of decluttering - all the money it saves me! I have found at least a year's supply of razors and lotion and pens!

Thread Information