Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Libraries, books, inter-library loans

Quote Originally Posted by Meezer_Mom View Post
    . They even re-shelve and dust them for me.
    It's the best!

Oh for goodness sake, William, why hold a grudge and incur more costs so that others may not get a chance to read books?

I can't say enough good things about our highly-rated library system. I don't begrudge them a penny of the taxes they collect from me. I've always thought top-notch libraries were the best entertainment/education bargain around. I only have to use ILL maybe once a year because the collection is very robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I draw from a rural network of county libraries. I made it a practice to search the online catalog for the book I want and then drive to that library even if it cost me substantially rather than order the book delivered to my local library or pick up on ILL.

Until - one day I drove quite a distance to a library I had never been to get a book that had been checked out for a long time. The online catalog reported it was available. Upon arrival, I went to where the book was to be shelved. No luck. I asked for the librarians assistance and she couldn't find it. A second librarian recalled it was actually from my local library but was in a shipping envelope on the librarians desk waiting to be sent via mail.

I thought, no big deal, just check it out to me here and I'll return it to its proper library free of shipping costs. Oh hell no. Neither the librarian I was talking to face to face nor the librarian I talked to on the phone could problem solve by ignoring the computer protocol long enough to benefit everyone. So, I waited for them to ship the book to my local library and then I picked it up there.

I then returned the book to a third library .....further away so it would have to be shipped back. And every chance I get I return the books I borrow to a different library so it has to be shipped back. I haven't gotten a call yet to ask me to stop.

I also quit donating books and making financial gifts. I can hold a grudge for ignorance and stupidity for a long time.
    Without knowing more about your library's computer system and how it is shared, I can't respond to that situation. I do know that our patrons occasionally wanted to jump the gun and go retrieve a book that we were getting for them via ILL, and that a complex process that I discouraged. However once in a while a patron would call me while he was standing in a university library holding a book he wanted us to get for him, so I worked with the university library to make special arrangements. But that was a very special arrangement, it required higher level staff to intercede, and it worked because I was at work that day and could overtirn barriers. My lower level staff who normally handled this stuff couldnt do it.

True interlibrary loan means that an owning library is lending a book to another library, the book is checked out to another library, it is not checked out to an individual person. That is key because the borrowing library takes full responsibility for the loan and if the book doesn't come back that borrowing library pays for it. Also, in true interlibrary transactions, the book is processed with the borrowing library's bar code that ties to the transaction for the patron. If the special processing is not in place, there is no way to discharge the book from the patron's account. Angry patrons ensue. That was always a factor in these special handlings outside the normal process.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-12-17 at 12:29pm.

Imposing extra costs and inconvenience on any public service out of pique seems wrong to me. Like that woman who called 911 to complain that her McNuggets weren't getting served quickly enough. Or that guy who thought he was making some kind of point by paying his property taxes in pennies. It hurts taxpayers and system users more than the bureaucracy.

Like Jane i can't say enough good about our library, or about NYC's where I lived for,18 years. Having a well stocked library has enabled me to read countless books that I would never have bought but which 'sounded interesting' when I read about them or heard an interview of the author or whatever. Whatever of my tax dollars that goes to libraries is money very well spent in my opinion. As SO and I look towards retirement and where to live access to a decent library will definitely be one of our considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Like Jane i can't say enough good about our library, or about NYC's where I lived for,18 years. Having a well stocked library has enabled me to read countless books that I would never have bought but which 'sounded interesting' when I read about them or heard an interview of the author or whatever. Whatever of my tax dollars that goes to libraries is money very well spent in my opinion. As SO and I look towards retirement and where to live access to a decent library will definitely be one of our considerations.
    Among my considerations for an acceptable retirement venue are a variety of ethnic restaurants, a good mix of thrift stores, and a strong library system. My needs are few...

I dated ex-BF for 7 years. He lived in a small town that housed the library in a small house. It was only open a few days a week and had no ILL. I told him in all seriousness that I could never live there. He thought I was kidding. Welp, I never lived there, lol.
    Last edited by freshstart; 7-12-17 at 5:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I live in a small town with a small library. I don’t know if our local library has an ILL fee or not but for the yearly property taxes that I pay directly for the library, I figure I am paying for the use of the books that I get through the ILL system and for the use by those who do not pay property taxes and get the same service for absolutely free.
    Who doesnt pay real estate taxes? If you mean people who rent, they pay via their rent payment, that is part of the roll up charged by their landlord.

I have always defined my minimum public library needs as a collection of 100,000 volumes. That was before digital content exploded all over the place, but that is still a decent guildeline for me. I worked in several libraries of that size and I know what I can expect to find.

Thread Information