Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Libraries, books, inter-library loans

I just checked my property tax bills. After the levy increase to build the new addition, I'm paying ~$2250 in local property taxes a year directly entirely to the library.

I could order a lot of books from Amazon Prime for that money. They show up on my doorstep the very next day, and I don't have to drive into the village and back. Hmmm...

The median home price here is ~$550k - they'd be paying about $250 a year in library taxes.

If I'm doing the math right, you must have a very nice place, bae.

That's interesting that not all libraries charge other libraries for ILL, and some libraries do charge patrons for ILL -- did not know that. There is no charge to patron at our library.

Some of the things I have gotten through ILL were old/out of print or periodicals and probably would not be available through Amazon, but others were more current/popular and probably would be.

Our library is going to be closed this Winter for the planned renovation and I'm just dreading that because it's one of the few places to see people locally during the long dark cold Winter. They plan to relocate it to the school temporarily. Not sure how on earth that is going to work but at least there will be someplace to go. It will probably be kind of fun having it there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mamalatte View Post
    If I'm doing the math right, you must have a very nice place, bae.
    Not especially. I do however have more than one piece of real estate here that I pay taxes on.

Our library is going to be closed this Winter for the planned renovation and I'm just dreading that because it's one of the few places to see people locally during the long dark cold Winter.
    I think our library serves a similar social purpose much of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Are you on a new device IL? It looks like my tablet which is why I am constantly editing for typos.
    No, I wrote this up elsewhere for previewing, then copied and pasted to website. Thats why the font is different.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-10-17 at 11:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I just checked my property tax bills. After the levy increase to build the new addition, I'm paying ~$2250 in local property taxes a year directly entirely to the library.

I could order a lot of books from Amazon Prime for that money. They show up on my doorstep the very next day, and I don't have to drive into the village and back. Hmmm...

The median home price here is ~$550k - they'd be paying about $250 a year in library taxes.
    i go through $250 worth of library product in two weeks. I consume a lot of media. Dont read them necessarily, but I skim them or look at them. Right now I have 6 books about Prague checked out, 4 of which are large format architecture and art books. Those are expensive. Also,
    I dont WANT to own all of the books I use at the library, ugh.

But back to the library potentially buyng rahter than ILLing titles: that isnt free, there arw acquisitions costs. The humans who order, unpack shipments, process incoices, amd sjelp,the new books around insist on being paid.

Freshstart, I doubt very much that anyone you speak to at your library will know the full cost of ILL service on a per unit basis. At least, the front line staff wont know, management might. I had a great interest in cost analysis when I worked at a library but the vast majority of our library staff have no clue how much a specific service costs.I remember when one supervisor told me I thought too muvh about costs. Oooookay.That is how I am wired, sorry!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-10-17 at 11:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yes, Ron is my Fylgja. (Can't say "spirit animal", apparently that's colonialist cultural appropriation.)
    Ron would appreciate that sentiment and would offer you a large hunk of meat in a gesture of brotherhood.

I think the Aubrey Parks character is my spirit animal. I can say that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think the Aubrey Parks character is my spirit animal. I can say that now.
    Isnt that April? Yeah, she is great.

Dayum. Feeling grateful here in LA where I have access to Cities (plural), County, University and Legal collections.

Between them, they carry every book I could want or need. They even re-shelve and dust them for me.

Williamsmith
    I draw from a rural network of county libraries. I made it a practice to search the online catalog for the book I want and then drive to that library even if it cost me substantially rather than order the book delivered to my local library or pick up on ILL.

Until - one day I drove quite a distance to a library I had never been to get a book that had been checked out for a long time. The online catalog reported it was available. Upon arrival, I went to where the book was to be shelved. No luck. I asked for the librarians assistance and she couldn't find it. A second librarian recalled it was actually from my local library but was in a shipping envelope on the librarians desk waiting to be sent via mail.

I thought, no big deal, just check it out to me here and I'll return it to its proper library free of shipping costs. Oh hell no. Neither the librarian I was talking to face to face nor the librarian I talked to on the phone could problem solve by ignoring the computer protocol long enough to benefit everyone. So, I waited for them to ship the book to my local library and then I picked it up there.

I then returned the book to a third library .....further away so it would have to be shipped back. And every chance I get I return the books I borrow to a different library so it has to be shipped back. I haven't gotten a call yet to ask me to stop.

I also quit donating books and making financial gifts. I can hold a grudge for ignorance and stupidity for a long time.

Thread Information