Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touring bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldilocks View Post
    Hi. This is my first post. I actually made an account so I could answer your post. My bike of choice is a old ridged mountain bike. I prefer Mountain bikes because you can ride them on more terrains. I've rode my mountain bike thru the snow. I was actually looking for a bike to replace my 19 year old mountain bike. The problem I was having was finding a bike without front shocks. What I ended up buying was a Giant Atx Lite. I can't say enough good things about this bike.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-lite
    I ended up having Jones H loop handle bars put on It. I really like the multiple hand positions.
    Any updates on your cycle commuting or lite touring?

I have taken virtually every touring bike in the city on a test ride. None are a good fit. I tried everything from the Fuji Touring to the Trek 520 to the Salsa Vaya.
    Some are very expensive, but I can't seem to find a good fit because I am apparently "all torso."

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Any updates on your cycle commuting or lite touring?

I haven't done any touring, but I commute almost every day. I work only 2 miles from home. I don't ride real hard on the way in. I take the long way home. And on the way home, I put it in the highest gear, stand on the peddles and mash for about 12 to 15 seconds. Then I shift to a lower gear and sit and spin for about 40 seconds. I try to repeat this all the way home for the sake of exercise. I'm down from 205 to 193. Plus going faster is always more fun.

I have taken virtually every touring bike in the city on a test ride. None are a good fit. I tried everything from the Fuji Touring to the Trek 520 to the Salsa Vaya.
    Some are very expensive, but I can't seem to find a good fit because I am apparently "all torso."
    Sorry you haven't found anything yet. Have you thought about looking for this topic on a bicycle forum? I can relate to struggling to find the right bike. When I was looking for a new bike, the mountain bikes without suspension were too expensive. When I considered bikes with lock out forks, the mechanic said keeping my forks locked out all the time would ruin them. When I mentioned switching the forks with ridged forks, the mechanic said I would ruin the geometry. The funny thing is, when I bought my original mountain bike, I planned on upgrading the bike to suspension forks some day. It never happened. Meanwhile, I learned how to ride fairly technical mountain biking trails with no suspension. But I also like riding a mountain bike on the road. I like to be able to jump curbs and ride over the worst roads without bending my rims. I also learned you can ride a Mountain bike thru the snow and the skills used on the trail help with that. Here is a bike forum that may of addressed the long torso topic. Hope your search goes well. Hope to be seeing pictures of your new bike soon.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/bike-forums/

Thread Information