Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: Most Regrettable College Major in America

  1. #21
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, if that is how you define creative and insightful, then no wonder you were insulted.
    If you havent tuned in to his dry sense of humor by now, I dont know what to tell ya.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,192
    You are a thinker! You love theory and abstract ideas, and you hold high standards for performance. You are independent, creative, and insightful, and you work best by yourself. Based on your answers, the following careers match your personality type: strategic planner, university professor, computer programmer, technical writer, lawyer, judge, and photographer. Are we spot-on?
    I got a thinker too, unfortunately I'm a computer programmer, university professor, only in my dreams ....

    Although that website was so buggy that I really regret even clicking on it, not worth it folks.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Geila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    785
    Yes, this site was buggy.

    And when I took the quiz, I was told I'm an Artist. Which is weird because I don't think of myself as artistic AT ALL. The only thing I'm decent at is photography. Oh well, so maybe I have some hidden talents to be revealed at a later date.

  4. #24
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Reminds me of when I was just finishing college in the 1970s. I met a guy who worked for a medium-large corporation. He explained that the corp. had a test for applicants. One of the questions was something like "how much do you read for pleasure?"
    The correct answer, according to the employer, was supposed to be None or Almost none.
    Was one of my first insights that corps. just want you to be focused on the bottom line and nothing else. We're getting closer to their Nirvana every year.
    Thank You for your post here, Lainey. Your line about how the corporation wants you to read little or nothing for pleasure - truly and much very so makes me feel I have made the right choices in life and I'm glad I ran across your post here. Amazing how corporations expect to control our lives EVEN WHEN WE ARE NOT ON THEIR CLOCK BEING RENTED FOR OUR LABOR/PRODUCTIVITY. Gotta kick that one to the curb in my life, sorry but I did not indoctrinate well into this mindset. (no surprise to any regular posters here at this point, though LOL) Rob

  5. #25
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,381
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Thank You for your post here, Lainey. Your line about how the corporation wants you to read little or nothing for pleasure - truly and much very so makes me feel I have made the right choices in life and I'm glad I ran across your post here. Amazing how corporations expect to control our lives EVEN WHEN WE ARE NOT ON THEIR CLOCK BEING RENTED FOR OUR LABOR/PRODUCTIVITY. Gotta kick that one to the curb in my life, sorry but I did not indoctrinate well into this mindset. (no surprise to any regular posters here at this point, though LOL) Rob
    I didnt get that memo and spent most of my life reading for pleasure, guiding others in reading for pleasure, and spending my mey with companies to support those reading activities. And with belt tightening, punching a time clock daily, and good health, I was able to get to a place of financial comfort.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I didnt get that memo and spent most of my life reading for pleasure, guiding others in reading for pleasure, and spending my mey with companies to support those reading activities. And with belt tightening, punching a time clock daily, and good health, I was able to get to a place of financial comfort.
    I once asked a librarian friend if she considered herself to be a teacher. She said it was more like being a pimp, hooking up readers with writers for purposes of pleasure. You had to discern and accommodate individual tastes rather than dictate what to read.

    I've never worked anywhere that discouraged reading. Some of my employers have actually provided reading lists. Much like you, I have avoided Rob's strong stand against Mammon, compromising enough between the life of the mind, leisure and commerce to gain a measure of financial independence.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Geila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    785
    I never felt that any corporations I worked for cared what I did on my own time. Well, except they wanted me able to do my job when I got there in the morning! Fair enough.

    I was always a big reader until I went back to school in my 40's. Two degrees later, I have lost the ability to enjoy reading for pleasure. Maybe too much strain on my older eyes, maybe too much blah, blah in the textbooks, maybe realizing that a lot of written material is repetitive, I don't know. But now when I try to read, I just feel sleepy and tired. Maybe some day the enjoyment will come back, maybe not. I sometimes miss reading because it's such an easy hobby. But the plus side is that the absence of reading has made me more physically active, which is a good thing. Especially as I get older. I guess it all balances out in the end.

  8. #28
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    680
    The only restriction I had was to be able to pass random drug tests. Other than that I could pretty much do what I wanted as long as I was making the company money.

  9. #29
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    The only restriction I had was to be able to pass random drug tests. Other than that I could pretty much do what I wanted as long as I was making the company money.
    Don't drop dead of shock, dmc, ok? I actually agree with you here and I believe that this is how employment should be. Rob

  10. #30
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Don't drop dead of shock, dmc, ok? I actually agree with you here and I believe that this is how employment should be. Rob
    Believe it or not, that's how the corporate world actually works, not as the restrictive example that excited you so.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •