Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Regrettable College Major in America

From my experience with friends and acquaintances I would challenge that art history might be the most regrettable. I know one English major that became a teacher with no regrets, so small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, if that is how you define creative and insightful, then no wonder you were insulted.
    Nobody wants to be called a "creative accountant".

Too many years of being approached by people who wanted "creative solutions" or "new interpretations" allowing them to spend more than they had, I suppose. Too many years of being called a narrow-minded bean counter who couldn't transcend the genre and make 2+2=12.

I think a lot of people in the fullness of their years seek to explore interests that were not encouraged early on. In college you focus on what are perceived as your strengths by others. My brother, for example, number 2 in his class at Columbia Law, now spends all his time making wooden furniture and drawing.
    I wanted to be a marine biologist and alas, became an English major. So now one of my dream jobs would be to work as an educating park ranger. But there is no way I could do that physically now.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Nobody wants to be called a "creative accountant".

Too many years of being approached by people who wanted "creative solutions" or "new interpretations" allowing them to spend more than they had, I suppose. Too many years of being called a narrow-minded bean counter who couldn't transcend the genre and make 2+2=12.
    OK, I get it now. Yeah, accountants aren't paid for their insights, right?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Reminds me of when I was just finishing college in the 1970s. I met a guy who worked for a medium-large corporation. He explained that the corp. had a test for applicants. One of the questions was something like "how much do you read for pleasure?"
    The correct answer, according to the employer, was supposed to be None or Almost none.
    Was one of my first insights that corps. just want you to be focused on the bottom line and nothing else. We're getting closer to their Nirvana every year.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    OK, I get it now. Yeah, accountants aren't paid for their insights, right?
    Absolutely. All those insightful, innovative accountants at Enron destroyed Arthur Anderson.

If accountants started valuing creativity, civilization would quickly collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think a lot of people in the fullness of their years seek to explore interests that were not encouraged early on. In college you focus on what are perceived as your strengths by others. My brother, for example, number 2 in his class at Columbia Law, now spends all his time making wooden furniture and drawing.
    I wanted to be a marine biologist and alas, became an English major. So now one of my dream jobs would be to work as an educating park ranger. But there is no way I could do that physically now.
    In a way, it seems unfair to let the twenty-year-old version of ourselves make so many decisions for the fifty-year-old version.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My English degree served me well,
    I have no regrets!
    Same here!

In a way, it seems unfair to let the twenty-year-old version of ourselves make so many decisions for the fifty-year-old version.
    I've long said that--People make all kinds of life-altering decisions at an age when they're barely capable of crossing the street by themselves.
    On paper, it looks like I peaked at 18; oh to have those choices to make again.

+1

Thread Information